• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Student apartment electric bill given to me for dates I was not moved in yet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Oshiya

Located in Texas

I currently live in a student housing apartment complex. Since this is student housing I pay base rent and only electric every month.

The property manager and electric bill service company are trying to make me pay an electric bill for the unit I moved into for dates that I was NOT in the unit.

My lease says it was supposed to start August 1st however, I did not get keys and move in until August 9th because the previous resident was not out yet and the unit needed to be prepared before I moved in. This is well documented.

On August 23rd I got an email from the electric company stating

"Your utility statement due on 9/1/2023 is ready. A summary of your charges is below, for the account number ending in ... We see that you have not logged in to our site. Before you can access your utility information, please click 'View Statement' ..."

This is normal as I get this email every time I have transferred into a new unit. However I open the bill and it states the bill has been prorated, my move in date was 08/01/23 and the service dates are 8/1/23 - 8/6/23. The service period is 07/07/23 - 08/06/23 and the service address is my new unit.

The bill is huge for those 5 days (maintenance left fans running, A/C blowing constantly etc.) and I did not step foot in to the unit until 08/09/23.

I ask the property manager and electric company and they are stating this bill is from my previous' unit and has been transferred over.

I log into my old electric bill account, it says it has been closed out and the final bill was posted for 08/01/23 (I already paid this) and there is no evidence of any other electric accrual, balance owed, nothing.

The electric company hasn't provided me an invoice or balance for the previous units electric usage and it being transferred over after I asked for something to be shown that this is for my previous unit.

There's information on my old account showing they transferred the unit balance over to my new account on 08/13/23 and it was ZERO DOLLARS.

I even have an email about utilities from the property on 07/06/23 that states.

"ALL Final Utilies for your usage from the dates 6/8/2023 - 7/31/2023 have been posted to your resident portal. Please log into your resident portal to pay your final electric bill and balance."

Now I am just waiting for the property manager to contact me regarding this issue because now she has to speak with someone else at the electric company because the "customer service representative doesn't know anything." and they are both stating this is something the other needs to fix.

I am not going to pay this bill, do I have any leg to stand on if this ends up taking a legal route? I have lots of documentation on my side and they seem to have nothing.

quincy

Located in Texas

I currently live in a student housing apartment complex. Since this is student housing I pay base rent and only electric every month.

The property manager and electric bill service company are trying to make me pay an electric bill for the unit I moved into for dates that I was NOT in the unit.

My lease says it was supposed to start August 1st however, I did not get keys and move in until August 9th because the previous resident was not out yet and the unit needed to be prepared before I moved in. This is well documented.

On August 23rd I got an email from the electric company stating

"Your utility statement due on 9/1/2023 is ready. A summary of your charges is below, for the account number ending in ... We see that you have not logged in to our site. Before you can access your utility information, please click 'View Statement' ..."

This is normal as I get this email every time I have transferred into a new unit. However I open the bill and it states the bill has been prorated, my move in date was 08/01/23 and the service dates are 8/1/23 - 8/6/23. The service period is 07/07/23 - 08/06/23 and the service address is my new unit.

The bill is huge for those 5 days (maintenance left fans running, A/C blowing constantly etc.) and I did not step foot in to the unit until 08/09/23.

I ask the property manager and electric company and they are stating this bill is from my previous' unit and has been transferred over.

I log into my old electric bill account, it says it has been closed out and the final bill was posted for 08/01/23 (I already paid this) and there is no evidence of any other electric accrual, balance owed, nothing.

The electric company hasn't provided me an invoice or balance for the previous units electric usage and it being transferred over after I asked for something to be shown that this is for my previous unit.

There's information on my old account showing they transferred the unit balance over to my new account on 08/13/23 and it was ZERO DOLLARS.

I even have an email about utilities from the property on 07/06/23 that states.

"ALL Final Utilies for your usage from the dates 6/8/2023 - 7/31/2023 have been posted to your resident portal. Please log into your resident portal to pay your final electric bill and balance."

Now I am just waiting for the property manager to contact me regarding this issue because now she has to speak with someone else at the electric company because the "customer service representative doesn't know anything." and they are both stating this is something the other needs to fix.

I am not going to pay this bill, do I have any leg to stand on if this ends up taking a legal route? I have lots of documentation on my side and they seem to have nothing.
You appear to have the documents you need. Maybe you will hear from property manager and/or the electric company tomorrow with news that the problem with your bill has been resolved - and you will be able to pay the corrected bill by the September 1 due date.

Oshiya

You appear to have the documents you need. Maybe you will hear from property manager and/or the electric company tomorrow with news that the problem with your bill has been resolved - and you will be able to pay the corrected bill by the September 1 due date.
You say that but the property manager seemed like she did not want to budge and was very condescending when speaking with me. Her along with the electric company clearly gave me misinformation in hopes I will just listen to what they say and pay this random bill.

xylene

Life lesson: landlord and property manager types will ALWAYS be condescending.

Stand up. "I don't care if this means you have to do your job. I'm not paying an electric bill for any period before I took possession of the apartment."

FarmerJ

Put it all in writing to the landlord on real paper sent via confirmed mail delivery or certified mail and in it outline that they didnt get the keys to you until X date and since the electric company was given your move in date most likely by them you expect them to correct your move in date with the electric utility since you should not have to pay for another tenants use ( ill bet your landlord does not use a roll over agreement with the electric utility where when one tenant moves out the bill is switched to the landlords name then when a new person moves in the the landlord only has to pay for the empty time ) feel free to suggest to your landlord that you are okay with suing ( after you pay it ) in small claims court to order them to reimburse you for the other tenants use. NOW as to your future there you are going to have to document every thing so before you have lived there too long you need to take alot of pictures of every thing like that little ding on the corner of the kitchen counter top . scratches on the bathroom vanity top. Stain marks in toilet & tub-shower. wear and tear marks on wood work and cabinet doors . pics even of stain or ear and tear - traffic patterns if the carpet wasnt cleaned before you moved in then save them and print and send copies say to your family to store for you as back up and then when you finally move out write down your units electric meter reading and feel free when you give notice to vacate to tell them you took pictures of the unit at move in. ( even though you now are in occupancy you could note in a letter every defect no matter how small in a letter and send it to them via confirmed mail delivery or certified mail.

quincy

On Wednesday, Oshiya was waiting for a return call from the property manager. Oshiya’s property manager and the electric company might already have made the corrections to the bill. The utility bill was due yesterday.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">