• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Surrendering rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Despina

What is the name of your state? Florida
Yes I'm pregnant and the father and i aren't and haven't been together. He was unfaithful and is now married to her and him and I agree on the terms to were he wants to just walk away and surrender his rights as the father. What can we do are there forms we can file and move on

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes I'm pregnant and the father and i aren't and haven't been together. He was unfaithful and is now married to her and him and I agree on the terms to were he wants to just walk away and surrender his rights as the father. What can we do are there forms we can file and move on
Poor kid.

zddoodah

I'm pregnant and the father and i aren't and haven't been together.
Ummm...if you "haven't been together," then this person couldn't possibly be the father. By the way, how is it that you claim to know that this person is the father? Was he your only sexual partner during the time roughly four weeks on either side of the estimated date of conception?

He was unfaithful and is now married to her and him
He's "now married to her and him"? Huh? Also, who are "her and him"?

I agree on the terms to were he wants to just walk away and surrender his rights as the father. What can we do are there forms we can file and move on
Not possible.

When a child is born to an unmarried woman, no man has parental rights until and unless paternity is established, which is typically done by a DNA test and court order or by both parents signing an acknowledgment of paternity. If you don't want the alleged father having anything to do with the child and he's fine with that, then neither of you need do anything. However, there is nothing you can do to prevent him from seeking to establish paternity and obtain visitation or custody if he changes his mind. Likewise, there is nothing he can do to prevent you from seeking child support. Moreover, if you seek and obtain public assistance for the child, you will be legally compelled to identify the father so that the public agency can pursue him for child support. Of course, you could lie and claim that you were exceedingly indiscriminate in your promiscuity such that you don't know who the father is, but that would be a crime.

Just Blue

Will you receiving any state benefits, such as food stamps, cash assistance or Medicaid when the baby is born? If not just don't establish paternity. As long as you are not looking for the tax payers of Florida (or any state you may live in) to pay for you and your childs support you can simply "forget about him".

You and the alleged father are doing your child a grave disservice...one you will very likely regret in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">