• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

temporary spousal support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alezajex

WV

my wife walked out of our marriage w/ 1 yr kid. Judge ordered me to provide temporary spousal support because she doesn't work. My lawyer told me its temporary and if I file for divorce, it will be voided. I filed for divorce next day. (not because I didn't wanted to pay, but we are at the point). My concern is my first payment is due Mar 25. Do I pay or wait for divorce hearing and see what judge orders? the order does say I have 90 days to pay. Then why give me a date of Mar 25 to pay?
I am barely saving any money from my part-time. W2 income minus rent saves me nothing. I don't have much to pay.

asking this here because of 2nd opinion

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
WV

my wife walked out of our marriage w/ 1 yr kid. Judge ordered me to provide temporary spousal support because she doesn't work. My lawyer told me its temporary and if I file for divorce, it will be voided. I filed for divorce next day. (not because I didn't wanted to pay, but we are at the point). My concern is my first payment is due Mar 25. Do I pay or wait for divorce hearing and see what judge orders? the order does say I have 90 days to pay. Then why give me a date of Mar 25 to pay?
I am barely saving any money from my part-time. W2 income minus rent saves me nothing. I don't have much to pay.

asking this here because of 2nd opinion
What was filed resulting in a SS order?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
WV

Pay it. Abide by the order you have until the order is changed.

Complying with a current court order is viewed favorably; not complying with a court order can hurt your credibility. Being credible in the eyes of the judge means that the judge is more likely to believe what you say. This can be helpful.

I have observed that when a person loses credibility with a judge, it is tough to regain it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">