• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket for improperly displayed plate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

UNCMo96

I received a ticket for improperly displayed license plate while street parking in Brooklyn, NY.
I've had a few dings on my car which were deep enough that I've needed repaired. Because of this I have a back bumper guard and recently added a front wraparound bumper guard after a ding on my front bumper so my insurance company doesn't get pissed at me. The back guard goes over the bumper but the plate is fully exposed since it is on the trunk. The front guard does cover the plate (but it's easy to pull down and see the plate). The ticket was received while parked and I never drive with the guards.

I'm a physician and was seeing patients in a hospital. Usually I park in Physician street spots (MD plates) but those were all taken. Today I parked in a regular street spot.

Do I have any hope of fighting this? Would it help to show pics of the damage my car has sustained while street parking in my defense?

zddoodah

Do I have any hope of fighting this? Would it help to show pics of the damage my car has sustained while street parking in my defense?
I don't really follow the description of your vehicle, but you're responsible for complying with the law regardless of your accident history. The fact that your car has "sustained [damage] while street parking" doesn't entitle you to break the law.

It might help if you posted photos of the back of your car where the plate is displayed (with the plate number redacted, of course).

PayrollHRGuy

It might help if you posted photos of the back of your car where the plate is displayed (with the plate number redacted, of course).
That's the problem. The OP has admitted that he redacted the plate number on the front with the guard.

"The front guard does cover the plate "

quincy

I don't really follow the description of your vehicle, but you're responsible for complying with the law regardless of your accident history. The fact that your car has "sustained [damage] while street parking" doesn't entitle you to break the law.

The back plate is not why the ticket was issued. It was exposed despite the bumper guard. It was the front plate that was covered by the bumper guard that violated the law and resulted in the ticket.

A photo of the license plate is not really necessary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">