• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Titling a salavged motorcycle in maryland

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chrisflhtc

What is the name of your state? Maryland
Hey all I need to make use of the vast store of knowledge on this forum. I purchased a used stock frame 91 FLHTC (parted out) for my motorcycle because the original frame developed rust and had become unsafe. I bought from Pinwall cycle parts in Ohio. They did not give me a salvage title with it only a copy of the title and a bill of sale. The MVA will not touch it neither will the MSP salvage division. I have already switched all the original parts from my 89 FLHTC do any of you know how to go about getting it titled? The frame was not damaged in the accident that totaled the donor bike. And it did not say “to be destroyed” on the salvage title from Ohio. Would a writ of mandamus help to get a MD salvage title?
TIA
Chris

Last edited:

quincy

What is the name of your state? Maryland
Hey all I need to make use of the vast store of knowledge on this forum. I purchased a used stock frame 91 FLHTC (parted out) for my motorcycle because the original frame developed rust and had become unsafe. I bought from Pinwall cycle parts in Ohio. They did not give me a salvage title with it only a copy of the title and a bill of sale. The MVA will not touch it neither will the MSP salvage division. I have already switched all the original parts from my 89 FLHTC do any of you know how to go about getting it titled? The frame was not damaged in the accident that totaled the donor bike. And it did not say “to be destroyed” on the salvage title from Ohio. Would a writ of mandamus help to get a MD salvage title?
TIA
Chris
You wrote that the Ohio company did not give you a salvage title and later you said that the salvage title from Ohio did not say “to be destroyed.” Do you have a salvage title or not?

adjusterjack

with it only a copy of the title?

Whose title? Theirs? Some prior owner?

You might have to get it titled in another state where you can post a bond.

As far as I know (I keep a list) MD doesn't allow for defective title bonds.

The closest state to you that does is NY.

New York Vehicle & Traffic Law § 2105 (2017) - Application for First Certificate of Title. :: 2017 New York Laws :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

Bond Under Section 2105 (d) of the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law (ny.gov)

In the other direction is North Carolina.

Official NCDMV: Bonded Vehicle Titles (ncdot.gov)

chrisflhtc

You wrote that the Ohio company did not give you a salvage title and later you said that the salvage title from Ohio did not say “to be destroyed.” Do you have a salvage title or not?
They gave me a photocopy of the title they said that they surrendered the original when they parted out the bike however the Ohio BMV says the title is still active. photo copy's mean nothing to Maryland they want the original.

quincy

They gave me a photocopy of the title they said that they surrendered the original when they parted out the bike however the Ohio BMV says the title is still active. photo copy's mean nothing to Maryland they want the original.
So to satisfy Maryland you need the original title from Ohio?

adjusterjack

Common scam. Seller lies about the title. Sells it to a gullible buyer. Pockets the cash. Ghosts the buyer when buyer complains.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">