• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Travel Time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IllinosMom

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My job is 5 minutes from my house. I have required training that is 45 minutes from my house. As an hourly employee should travel time be paid?

I wouldn't have even questioned it but 1 out of 4 days is only a half day. My boss indicated that I would need to work late that day to get my 8 hours in.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Do you go straight from your house to the training, or are you required to stop at your regular job location first?

IllinosMom

Everyday will be home to training back home except the last day. That day will be home to training to office to home.

quincy

Following is a link to information on the Portal-to-Portal Act, which requires an employer to include travel time as hours worked under a select set of circumstances only. Your travel time from your house to the training session and back home again from the training session would (generally) not be considered compensable hours worked. The time from the training session to workplace, on the other hand, generally would be considered time worked.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2009-title29-vol3/pdf/CFR-2009-title29-vol3-part785-subpartC-subjectgroup-id1914.pdf

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Agree with Quincy. On the basis of what you have posted only the time from the training place to the workplace on the last day needs to be paid time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">