• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to help a relative find his eviction date range.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

I don't doubt they don't want him. But they would if he had not repeatedly fell behind on his rent primarily because of the landlord's policy of refusing any payment that does not bring account current.

It was only after my nephew signed the lease, that the trustee realized they could not count on him paying the rent at all. The Landlord refused to discuss tenants with any 3rd party. The best option the trustee came up with was to send a check well in excess of what they thought it could ever be and then hope to convince the nephew to show them any bill in the future and skip a payment if the balance allowed that. They were never able to see any bill.

After he caused some damage, the following bill was more than the check by not very much, we believe they notified him he had to pay the full mount which he ignored. That meant all subsequent checks went uncashed until he was many months in arrear and eventually mentioned to the trustee he was hand delivered something saying his removal was imminent.

I can't fault the landlord but think their system was not in anyone's best interest since aside from the court costs and late fees the sum of the uncashed checks over multiple months was likely more than he owed since all but the one that triggered this were more than he owed by design.

At this moment, the only hard evidence the trustee has pointing to eviction is checks going uncashed. The nephew could even be misrepresenting anything else.

It took a LONG time to get him into this lease since he has zero income and had zero references. I suspect it will take as long or longer with a new landlord but hopefully the trustee will refuse any solution that does not guarantee they will see at least copies of the bills.

Until he is actually thrown out, I doubt the trustee will try to find a new lease.
What do you believe is your nephew’s underlying problem? Have you and/or your family members considered applying to the court for an involuntary mental health evaluation?

https://azcourtcare.org/process-info/civil-commitment-process

Something is going on with your nephew that his family seems ill-equipped to handle on their own. It sounds like a professional is needed so your nephew does not wind up back on the streets sleeping under a bridge.

Why would a landlord want to keep a tenant that continually causes damages requiring repair?
Think about your home...would you want to keep repairing a hole in your wall, or would you prefer there not be a hole there in the first place? I really don't think this is about money anymore.
You would have to ask the landlord if he even had continued to cause damage and if so, why he might want to keep him. Since the landlord won't speak to 3rd parties, good luck. Not even suggesting this BUT it would be totally in character for the nephew to ignore charges added to his bill that were caused by a 3rd party. He told the trustee the damage that resulted in his reported first eviction was a broken window. Not a landlord but would not try to get rid of a tenant just because he broke a window.

As I said, I would not want him as a tenant of mine based on his history this landlord did not know. So, I don't fault any landlord for reaching the same conclusion. Just saying nothing in the very few facts about this tenancy known to you or I would be a deal breaker for every landlord. I suspect the real reasons for wanting him out are ones you or I will never know.

What do you believe is your nephew’s underlying problem? Have you and/or your family members considered applying to the court for an involuntary mental health evaluation?

https://azcourtcare.org/process-info/civil-commitment-process

Something is going on with your nephew that his family seems ill-equipped to handle on their own. It sounds like a professional is needed so your nephew does not wind up back on the streets sleeping under a bridge.
Thanks, but there are family members who deal professionally with people like my nephew. We've tried but none are willing to take on the rage or vindictiveness of a parent that insists there is no problem.

That’s sad that he’s reached the age of 40 and he’s still stumbling through life.

An involuntary health evaluation of an adult does not require involvement of the adult’s parents.
I know. But also does not prevent all sorts of unpleasantness by said parent. Just suggesting it on various occasions resulted in threats and hints of rifts between other family members. I think most decided long ago to not capsize a boat trying to save an estranged relative. Even I wonder if I should have spent so much time tracking him down after his grandfather died. I think some beneficiaries would have preferred he stay missing.

I appreciate concerns but getting way off topic.

Turns out I have too many year-end things to do and am setting this aside until January.

Thanks all who responded. I will follow some of the leads and advice in the new year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">