• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsure of non lease rights wo good cause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

simplyaudeo

Washington

I have lived with bf for 5
Years. Not on the lease but pay power (in his name) and have cable in my name. He broke up with me and said we had till the end of the mo. To be out. He later changed it to the end of March. He states the landlord won't rent to just me because he is friends with bf. The landlord was well aware of me and being here for yrs. He always thanked me for keeping it nice. And we spent occasional holiday together. The landlord now even moved utilities back to his name.
I work from home and bf knows this is my livelihood. Can the landlord evict me like that? No reason? I could even pay upfront but not even being talked with. Please help.

quincy

Washington

Years. Not on the lease but pay power (in his name) and have cable in my name. He broke up with me and said we had till the end of the mo. To be out. He later changed it to the end of March. He states the landlord won't rent to just me because he is friends with bf. The landlord was well aware of me and being here for yrs. He always thanked me for keeping it nice. And we spent occasional holiday together. The landlord now even moved utilities back to his name.
I work from home and bf knows this is my livelihood. Can the landlord evict me like that? No reason? I could even pay upfront but not even being talked with. Please help.
If the current lease is not renewed, yes, the landlord can make both you and your boyfriend move out. You can try to submit a lease application in your own name. Whether it will be approved is anyone’s guess.

Just Blue

Washington

You are not being evicted...the landlord is just not renewing the lease. These are vastly different things, legally speaking.

adjusterjack

Q and Blue, did you miss this part?

I have lived with bf for 5 Years.
Not on the lease
He broke up with me and said we had till the end of the mo. To be out. He later changed it to the end of March.
Explain we.

You are your boyfriend's tenant on a month to month tenancy. It's not the landlord who's terminating your tenancy, it's your boyfriend who is doing it.

WA statute 59.18.200 (1)(a) requires only 20 days notice of termination.

RCW 59.18.200: Tenancy from month to month or for rental period—End of tenancy—Armed forces exception—Exclusion of children—Conversion to condominium—Demolition, substantial rehabilitation of the premises—Notice. (wa.gov)

You have until the end of March to move out, or then be evicted through the courts.

quincy

Q and Blue, did you miss this part?

Explain we.

You are your boyfriend's tenant on a month to month tenancy. It's not the landlord who's terminating your tenancy, it's your boyfriend who is doing it.

WA statute 59.18.200 (1)(a) requires only 20 days notice of termination.

RCW 59.18.200: Tenancy from month to month or for rental period—End of tenancy—Armed forces exception—Exclusion of children—Conversion to condominium—Demolition, substantial rehabilitation of the premises—Notice. (wa.gov)

You have until the end of March to move out, or then be evicted through the courts.
Saw it. Pretty much ignored it. :)

If boyfriend moves out at the end of his lease, simplyaudeo will either need to move out, too, or sign her own lease with the landlord.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">