• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appropriate to ask union rep/lawyer for an opinion??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frustrated_3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I have written before about the feeling that I'm writing much of this first contract on my own. I am fairly uncomfortable about deciding pay or pay scales for all current and future employees by myself!

My question is, am I in the wrong asking the union rep or union lawyer for advice on what to include? Not so much the "what" but the specifics of it. For example, we are asking for longevity payments in the contract, mostly because the municipal unit that we basically now work for, receives it. I sent the rep and lawyer three examples that I would be happy with an asked for their opinion on which would be best received. The answer I got back was simply "pick one." And then, "If they say no, so be it." Doesn't sound to me like they feel like negotiating for it. If this is the case, I wish they would say but I'm confused about the lack of answers I get.

I did the same with sick leave buy back, sent a few examples I had seen from other similar contracts and got a "pick one" again.

I sent pay rates and asked if they looked ok and got the same response. I then just asked how they would suggest I come up with the pay rates, just to see if I was on the right path. I really don't want to hurt any of my coworkers in this process. We do not have set pay rates, raises or scales for positions. It's more based on what they wanted to offer at the time you were hired.

Am I wrong in asking for help?

Sadly, when face to face, the rep is very accommodating and agreeable, so I leave feeling hopeful. Once discussions continue by phone and email they get short, snippy and refuse to answer questions and often don't reply. It's like dealing with jekyl and hyde.

justalayman

I am almost afraid to read your posts anymore. The trials and tribulations you face are horrible.

Try Asking the union rep:

Hey, I'm new at this and could really use some guidance. I don't feel I'm getting it from you so where can I turn for actual guidance here?

If it were me I might consider adding; it appears nobody here seems to be that intersted in having union representation anymore. Maybe I should just give up and stay with the status quo.

That last statement will either evoke some offer of assistance or prove the union rep is so apathetic having a union, at least this union, may not be worth the effort.

frustrated_3

Thanks

I am almost afraid to read your posts anymore. The trials and tribulations you face are horrible.

Try Asking the union rep:

Hey, I'm new at this and could really use some guidance. I don't feel I'm getting it from you so where can I turn for actual guidance here?

If it were me I might consider adding; it appears nobody here seems to be that intersted in having union representation anymore. Maybe I should just give up and stay with the status quo.

That last statement will either evoke some offer of assistance or prove the union rep is so apathetic having a union, at least this union, may not be worth the effort.
I SO appreciate that first sentence. It made me laugh a lot...which I needed today after spending all day on this union stuff.

I will ask for further guidance next time I'm asked to do it all myself. I am also considering sending out an email to employees just to ask if they're still interested. I'd hate to let it go after all this time I put in and considering it may be the only way we receive our first raise in six years. NJ is an expensive state and I feel like I'm moving backwards as far as pay is concerned.

Thanks again. This forum helps my sanity a bit during the process.

frustrated

I'mTheFather

Does your union have a 'chain of command'? Is there someone else above your union rep to whom you can appeal for help?

I was a union member for a long time, and I'm a union supporter, but I have to say that in the last few years of my membership, it seemed that those employed by the union viewed their jobs as jobs, rather than as advocacy positions. I hope that's not the case for most, but in my case, it almost seemed that they'd do whatever they could to rush a contract through.

I wish you lots of luck, and encourage you to move up the ladder of union organization if possible.

frustrated_3

I've tried...

Does your union have a 'chain of command'? Is there someone else above your union rep to whom you can appeal for help?

I was a union member for a long time, and I'm a union supporter, but I have to say that in the last few years of my membership, it seemed that those employed by the union viewed their jobs as jobs, rather than as advocacy positions. I hope that's not the case for most, but in my case, it almost seemed that they'd do whatever they could to rush a contract through.

I wish you lots of luck, and encourage you to move up the ladder of union organization if possible.
Thanks for the advice. I have contacted the union reps boss. I forget her title. She either doesn't respond or is all sunshine and flowers on the phone with no real action. I actually had to contact her to get any movement on creating the proposal because the lawyer was taking more than a month after promising a week. She never answered but at least I got movement on the proposal.

I am considering going above her but I'm a little afraid of angering people who are supposed to be fighting for me and kind of have my future in their hands. I'm also considering calling PERC again to see if they have any insight on what's going on and how I can get them to actually represent us.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">