• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I lease my position on my union roster?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

benj4786

I work as an electrical engineer in the railroad industry in New York State. I started with the company as a unionized technician and when I moved into an engineering position I continued paying my dues to maintain my position on the seniority roster. Now, the risk of me losing my job are very low so I have considered ending my dues payments. However, a position of higher seniority would be valuable to someone in a position of lower seniority, and any spot on the roster would be particularly valuable to someone making less money elsewhere. It occurred to me that it would be great if I could lease or sell my membership in the union. Is anything like this done anywhere? Thanks for your help!

FlyingRon

What makes you think the union will allow you to substitute someone else in your seniority position?

OHRoadwarrior

Sorry, if the system worked that way, I would sell mine as I have been on ESL for almost 2 years. You leave it, you lose it. It is not an asset, it is a negotiated benefit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">