• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collective bargaining agreement question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PaREF

Pennsylvania

I work for a municipal authority represented by a union. Our collective bargaining agreement expired last December 31 and we have been working with an extension since then. We voted on a new agreement last month (September 24) which was approved by a relatively wide margin.

The agreement has yet to be signed and the membership is getting a little antsy. Apparently there is still some discussion about some contract language. We aren't sure what it is since our union rep and his boss have been meeting with management and have not permitted our union officers/bargaining committee to be included in the discussions.

This has caused much consternation among the membership for several reasons but my concern is twofold; first, our union rep is relatively new and does not seem to be well versed in past problems with our employer, so I'm concerned that he will agree to something that has caused past problems and two, I have a problem with changing contract language after we have voted on and approved a contract. I had always thought that once a contracted was voted on, language could not be changed without approval of the membership (and management).

Now, I have held several officer positions in our local so I understand that sometimes in the middle of a contract, situations arise that may force a change of contract language. But between the time a contract is approved and when it is signed?!

My questions is this...if our union representative agrees (with management) to change some of the contract language, and we (the membership) are opposed to the changes can we bring some sort of legal action against the union and/or management to block the new language or force a new ratification vote?

I suppose you can figure out that we have little trust in our union representatives. They and several members of the Board of Directors of the municipal authority are high-ranking members in the county Democratic Party and are quite buddy-buddy. It's hardly news that working for government means all workplace decisions are colored by political connections but there are some legal protections afforded government employees. I'm hoping that any language changes will be minor and not very important but I am afraid that will not be the case. I just wanted to get some informed opinions of our options if the changes are, in fact big issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">