• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

enrolled in school and now being called back from a perminant layoff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

everettbad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio
recently i was layed off on a perminant mass layoff....so i enrolled in school (5 months)..after enrolling my union worked out an agreement with the company to transfer some employees to another location (unforseen) i wanna finish school and then return to work...do i have any rights to finish school?:confused:...or is the company in any obligation to hold my possition untill i have finished school?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless your union contract SPECIFICALLY says so, no, your employer is not required to hold your job until you finish school. Or at all.

Country Living

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio
recently i was layed off on a perminant mass layoff....so i enrolled in school (5 months)..after enrolling my union worked out an agreement with the company to transfer some employees to another location (unforseen) i wanna finish school and then return to work...do i have any rights to finish school?:confused:...or is the company in any obligation to hold my possition untill i have finished school?
I'm saying this in a friendly manner. If you're unable to finish this semester, at least go part-time while you're working even if it's taking just one class. You need to be in school. I applaud you wanting to improve your education.

commentator

For unemployment purposes, your benefits will probably end if you are called back to work by your employer, you refuse recall, and you are not in a state sponsored approved training school situation.

I would try hard to get my classes fixed so I could work and go to school at the same time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">