• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to get out of the union legally

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TOM1234

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
I have been a journeyman plumber and with the union for 12 years. There is no work for Union plumbers currently. I have been out of work for over a year. I first looked into starting my own Union Plumbing business, but the requirements and rules are too much that a small nonunion business wouldn't be able to survive. I am looking into wanting to start my own NON union business, but want to know the rules first before I leave the union. I want to know how to proceed to leaving the union legally and also I want to know the consequences for leaving the union. I know I can legally leave the Union, but can I proceed to do plumbing non-union? Can they legally fine me? Can they legally take my pension away? Can they take my plumbing license away? I don't want to call the union and ask these questions because I don't want to get on the bad side of the union if I decide to stay Union.

justalayman

I know I can legally leave the Union, but can I proceed to do plumbing non-union?
yes

Can they legally fine me?
Not if you have properly withdrawn from the union. If you haven't, it could get quite expensive. If you make the mistake of not withdrawing, you will be considered to be a union member working in competition to the union shops and the union contract. That will put into a "member in bad standing". If you ever want to go back into the union, that will be expensive to overcome.

Can they legally take my pension away?
You need to speak with them. Depending on how the pension is structured, it may be possible. You need to be very cautious before taking any firm action.

Can they take my plumbing license away?
did they issue it? It's a state license. They cannot take away a state license.

I don't want to call the union and ask these questions because I don't want to get on the bad side of the union if I decide to stay Union.
You really don't have any choice. You have to contact them. While nobody wants to see a union member drop, it happens. I haven't heard of any concrete shoe assisted swims in a long time.

OHRoadwarrior

but that may not prevent the union from withholding the pension. OP needs to do some serious checking with his union to be sure before taking any action that is not reversible.
Good thinking, that might be a possible concern in his trade. In mine it is not, unless you are actually collecting the pension.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">