• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The only employee of the three of us paying union dues!! :(

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Junior29

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello, I work as a physical therapist in a small community hospital. Over the past 5 years I have paid union dues even though I never wanted to be part of a union in the first place, but this is not a voluntary matter. A few months ago I learned that the two other therapist (just three of us in all) within my department have never paid union dues. In addition, they have made ~3 dollars more an hour than me because their salary has never been capped by union contract - errrrr. I contacted HR, the union, and my supervisor, but everyone is being very dismissive about it :(

My question: Do I have any control over this matter? Do I have a position to fight my case? ex: reimbursement, salary increase. . . anything? I am considering leaving this position because I have been the only one underpaid and part of this union - not to mention I am part of two committees at the hospital, which the others are not, thus I feel I should be compensated for my responsibilities.

Sorry for rambling on - just a bit upset. Thanks in advance for you answers! :\

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello, I work as a physical therapist in a small community hospital. Over the past 5 years I have paid union dues even though I never wanted to be part of a union in the first place, but this is not a voluntary matter. A few months ago I learned that the two other therapist (just three of us in all) within my department have never paid union dues. In addition, they have made ~3 dollars more an hour than me because their salary has never been capped by union contract - errrrr. I contacted HR, the union, and my supervisor, but everyone is being very dismissive about it :(

My question: Do I have any control over this matter? Do I have a position to fight my case? ex: reimbursement, salary increase. . . anything? I am considering leaving this position because I have been the only one underpaid and part of this union - not to mention I am part of two committees at the hospital, which the others are not, thus I feel I should be compensated for my responsibilities.

Sorry for rambling on - just a bit upset. Thanks in advance for you answers! :\
Don't you have a Union Steward who can help you file a Grievance concerning your issues? If so, that is where you should start-with a conversation with your Union Steward about the option of filing a grievance that will addrress your concerns.

You might want to check out the National Labor Relations Board and gather information as to what they are all about as well.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
NY is not a right-to-work state, which means that your employer CAN mandate union membership as a condition of employment.

Is your position EXACTLY the same as the other two?

When were you hired with respect to them?

Junior29

NY is not a right-to-work state, which means that your employer CAN mandate union membership as a condition of employment.

Is your position EXACTLY the same as the other two? Yes, exactly the same.

When were you hired with respect to them?
I was hired in 2009, the second hire was in 2012, and the most recent in January of this year. Upon inquiring about Union contract changes, they mentioned that nothing has really changed since. Overall, between union due subtractions and $3 less in pay comes out to be a pretty good sum of change. Btw, thanks for your answer.

Junior29

Don't you have a Union Steward who can help you file a Grievance concerning your issues? If so, that is where you should start-with a conversation with your Union Steward about the option of filing a grievance that will addrress your concerns.

You might want to check out the National Labor Relations Board and gather information as to what they are all about as well.
Yes, I did meet with my Union Steward and we talked about this issue. They appeared somewhat surprised that there were a few individuals within my department not paying union dues. 4 months later, nothing has been addressed. Doesn't seem to be too big of an issue to anyone, but myself - understandably so. And thanks, i will look into the NLRB as you mentioned. Thanks for your reply.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I would follow up with the union steward as well. It sounds not so much that you should not pay paying union dues but that the other employees should.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">