• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Third Class City Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yfd39

Pennsylvania. When I was first hired by a Third Class City, I was told that we were vested after 10 years. A couple of years into the employment, we were told we are no longer vested. Can an employer take away a benefit such as this without us knowing? Is it legal? I am a member of the union but don't know who's side our lawyer is on. We had two pension tiers. We voted for the second tier pension personnel to have the same benefits the first tier pension personnel have. In doing so, we supposedly gave up our vesting without being told this would happen. Is it legal? I need information on this ASAP!!!! Thank you.

moburkes

Pennsylvania. When I was first hired by a Third Class City, I was told that we were vested after 10 years. A couple of years into the employment, we were told we are no longer vested. Can an employer take away a benefit such as this without us knowing? Is it legal? I am a member of the union but don't know who's side our lawyer is on. We had two pension tiers. We voted for the second tier pension personnel to have the same benefits the first tier pension personnel have. In doing so, we supposedly gave up our vesting without being told this would happen. Is it legal? I need information on this ASAP!!!! Thank you.
What is Thurd Class City?

yfd39

Cities are rated Class I, II, III, etc**************Good thing this was free!!!!

Last edited:

NoHarmNoFoul

As a federal employee and union official, one of my primary resources, besides my contract, is Title 5 of the Code of Federal Regulations and United States Code. These contain specific rules governing federal employment. Since you work for a city government, there may be certain documents you can look through to see exactly what the legal obligations are concerning tenure, vesting, and retirement issues. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I hope this gives you some kind of direction to go with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">