• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Union member wants to work non union

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

terrybanks

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Can I work for a non union company if I am a union member of Operating Engineers (heavy equipment operators)? The union says no but I have "rode the bench" at the hiring hall for 2 months straight and have not been sent out on a single job. It costs me about $40.00 a week in gas. There are non union contractors hiring in are area but the union members say I could get fined up to $3000.00, and worst case blackballed from the union permanently if I get caught working for a non union contractor. I need to get an income again and the union says it may be months before I go out on a union job. Do I have to starve or can I win a case against the union if I go non union temporarily until the economy improves enough to return to a union job. I live in Missouri which is "not" a right to work state. I have 25 years in the pension and some say I might put it at risk also.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

Do I have to starve or can I win a case against the union if I go non union temporarily until the economy improves enough to return to a union job.
Nobody is stopping you from withdrawing from the union. Once you do that, you are not bound by the union rules.

Of course, they do not have to accept you back into the union once there is work for the union guys.

If you do not withdraw from the union, yes, they can penalize you for working non-union.

. Do I have to starve
Nope. Even staying a member of the union, you can take on any job that is not an OE. You can work for Walmart or deliver pizza or any other job that is not an OE.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">