• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Union refusal to represent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CSultzer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I was terminated from my employment within the employers designated probationary period. I attempted to contact the union. It literally took me calling everyday for a week and a half before I even spoke to an actual person and not just a voicemail. I left a message with these people multiple times a day with my contact information. Once I finally received a call back, I explained the situation and was then told that since I was terminated during the probationary period that they can't help me and thus I could not file a grievance. I paid my initiation fee and 2 months of union dues at this point.
Can they do that? Isn't that theft?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I was terminated from my employment within the employers designated probationary period. I attempted to contact the union. It literally took me calling everyday for a week and a half before I even spoke to an actual person and not just a voicemail. I left a message with these people multiple times a day with my contact information. Once I finally received a call back, I explained the situation and was then told that since I was terminated during the probationary period that they can't help me and thus I could not file a grievance. I paid my initiation fee and 2 months of union dues at this point.
1: Yes
2: No

justalayman

Put it this way; they could represent you but apparently during your probationary period the employer can terminate without cause. If that is the case even if you did file a grievance it would not do any good

If you believe your local acted improperly contact the regional or national office, if applicable. Other than that you can file a suit against the union for failure to represent but again, if the probationary period allows firing without cause, you will lose.

I find it hard to believe that you paid 2 months of union dues and a union initiation fee during your probationary period! Such expenditures never take place until AFTER your probation period expires. If for some unknown reason you DID pay such fees during your probationary period, you have cause to get reimbursed.

You should contact the NLRB (National Labor Relations Board) and let them know that you paid union dues while still on a probationary status. They should make sure you get your money back!

Zigner

I find it hard to believe that you paid 2 months of union dues and a union initiation fee during your probationary period! Such expenditures never take place until AFTER your probation period expires. If for some unknown reason you DID pay such fees during your probationary period, you have cause to get reimbursed.

You should contact the NLRB (National Labor Relations Board) and let them know that you paid union dues while still on a probationary status. They should make sure you get your money back!
That is absolute rubbish.

That is absolute rubbish.
The OP stated he is not allowed to file a grievance. This shows that he isn't a recognized member of the union he claims to be paying dues to. Union members have a right to file a grievance if they think they have cause to. If not, how can they be a union member?

The OP should contact the NLRB to see what they say about this. The NLRB would have the right answers for the OP.

I'mTheFather

The OP stated he is not allowed to file a grievance. This shows that he isn't a recognized member of the union he claims to be paying dues to. Union members have a right to file a grievance if they think they have cause to. If not, how can they be a union member?

The OP should contact the NLRB to see what they say about this. The NLRB would have the right answers for the OP.
He asked to file a grievance after he was fired. You know, when he was no longer an employee or member of the union.

I'mTheFather

Plus, it is not at all unusual for union membership and dues payment to begin on the first day of employment, regardless of the probationary period.

Zigner

I see you didn't even bother correcting your earlier, asinine statement - figures.

Ladyback1

*SIGH*
Once again, you are back with incorrect assumptions and advice.

At time of hire, a person can opt-in to the Union, pay their dues, etc. but are not fully covered under Union protection until AFTER the employee has completed the probationary period, or a set time indicated in the union contract/bargaining agreement.
You have no idea about Unions, do you??

Some places, you are required to pay dues to the union whether you are member or not--did you know that? When there is a collective bargaining agreement, all employees are covered under the agreement--thus if an employee chooses NOT to join the union, the employee will still pay a "due" or a fee to cover that 1 employees part of the bargaining agreement! I'm sure your little mind is blown by that.

TigerD

1. Yes
2. Yes

That's what unions do. They extort and steal from the employers and the employees. And so many dumb little employees nod their heads and beg for more. Unions are organized crime that has been licensed by the government. Bring back the Pinkertons, I say

TD

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">