• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

10 commandments and "under God" issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? ohio I'm curious as to what your board members opinions are with respect to (a) the firing of Judge Moore and the 10 commandment issue and (b) the "under God" issue with the Pledge. I, myself, do not believe that the "God" referred to in the Pledge is any particular "God" to therefore the statement "under God" should be left in. I also do not believe that the Pledge is in anyway a form of prayer like some people are saying. Any takes on this? Just so you all know, I'm not a bible thumper--far from it.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

recycbride said:
What is the name of your state? ohio I'm curious as to what your board members opinions are with respect to (a) the firing of Judge Moore and the 10 commandment issue and (b) the "under God" issue with the Pledge. I, myself, do not believe that the "God" referred to in the Pledge is any particular "God" to therefore the statement "under God" should be left in. I also do not believe that the Pledge is in anyway a form of prayer like some people are saying. Any takes on this? Just so you all know, I'm not a bible thumper--far from it.

My response:

Judge Moore was insubordinate. He was ordered to take down the 10 Commandments, and he refused. It's as simple as that. What he, or anyone, believes about the religious aspects is not the issue. The issue was that he failed and refused to obey his superiors.

In any employment situation, that's a terminable offense. If your employer is paying you, you do as your told. But for his employer, he wouldn't be a judge. Therefore, his firing was proper.

The word "God" in the Pledge of Allegiance should be removed. The original writer NEVER intended the words "under God" to be in the Pledge. It simply wasn't written that way. That was an addition made by President Dwight D. Eisenhower - - who had no right in the first place when he KNEW that our Constitution provides for the "separation of church and state".

As Eisenhower was taking the office of the Presidency, and as he swore on the Bible, he promised to uphold the Constitution of the United States. He failed in that duty when he added "under God". The phrase should revert back to "One Nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

IAAL

Last edited:
under God

Okay--but the way I look at it is we have "In God We Trust" on our money--so what is the big deal--God is whoever you believe he is--I think the problem arises when one does not believe in any particular God - they then abhor any reference to a God. One can also argue that on the other hand, their religious freedom is in jeopardy, with regards to the 1st amd., correct? The way I see it is, no one is forcing anyone to say the words under God, so what is the big deal. Think about it, in our court system--when you take the stand you have to swear on a bible you're telling the truth--"so help me God"--can't one then argue in that instance we are not separating church and state?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: under God

recycbride said:
Okay--but the way I look at it is we have "In God We Trust" on our money--so what is the big deal

MY RESPONSE: We do a lot of things in this country due to "tradition", and this is one of them. But, as you may have noticed, there is a "drive" to do away with all things that mention God, and the statement on our money is next to go.

--God is whoever you believe he is--I think the problem arises when one does not believe in any particular God - they then abhor any reference to a God.

MY RESPONSE: The issue is not whether you believe or disbelieve in God. The issue is that our Constitution requires a "separation of church and state". "God", no matter which one you choose to believe in, is STILL a religious icon and Deity, and any God is still a part of the "church" (generally stated because church includes Synagogue or any other place of worship). As such, any reference to the word "God" has no place within our government.

One can also argue that on the other hand, their religious freedom is in jeopardy, with regards to the 1st amd., correct?

MY RESPONSE: No. You're misunderstanding the basis tenets of the First Amendment. It doesn't say that you can bring the 10 Commandments into a public, governmental building because we have a "separation of church and state". It only means that you practice your religion freely, whether at church, at home, or anywhere else you'd like, without repression or reprisal. Just don't do it in governmental buildings because governmental buildings are supposed to be "agnostic" (Remember, again, that government is supposed to be "separate" from all religion).

The way I see it is, no one is forcing anyone to say the words under God, so what is the big deal.

MY RESPONSE: Yes, they are. Don't you remember learning the Pledge of Allegiance in school? You were taught to say it with "under God". We were too young to know any better, and therefore, it is MY contention that we, as children, were "forced" into repeating the Pledge in a manner that the writer had not intended.

Think about it, in our court system--when you take the stand you have to swear on a bible you're telling the truth--"so help me God"--can't one then argue in that instance we are not separating church and state?

MY RESPONSE: You've been watching too much television. No, you DO NOT have to say "so help me God". You have a choice - - to either "swear" (as you stated) or you can "affirm" that you will tell the truth. A lie in court, after you "affirm" to tell the truth, will still land you in jail for perjury.

Nice try, though, with your arguments - - as specious though they might be.

IAAL

Last edited:
swear or affirm choice

hmmm--swear or affirm choice--okay, then if it's okay to have a choice in that matter in a court of law with no worry of the separation of church and state issue, couldn't we just apply the same tactic to the pledge? One can either choose to say it with the words "under God" or have the choice to leave the words out. I for one, don't consider the pledge a prayer, I consider it an allegiance/respect to our country--just like the American flag--I value my country and my flag--sure we have our problems at times but, I don't think there's any other country I would rather live in. I guess I just find this all so confusing and sad. Sometimes I think that all the freedoms we do have just give us things to whine about.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: swear or affirm choice

recycbride said:
hmmm--swear or affirm choice--okay, then if it's okay to have a choice in that matter in a court of law with no worry of the separation of church and state issue, couldn't we just apply the same tactic to the pledge? One can either choose to say it with the words "under God" or have the choice to leave the words out. I for one, don't consider the pledge a prayer, I consider it an allegiance/respect to our country--just like the American flag--I value my country and my flag--sure we have our problems at times but, I don't think there's any other country I would rather live in. I guess I just find this all so confusing and sad. Sometimes I think that all the freedoms we do have just give us things to whine about.

My response:

Thanks for writing.

IAAL

D

DSKat

Re: Re: 10 commandments and "under God" issue

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
That was an addition made by President Dwight D. Eisenhower - - who had no right in the first place when he KNEW that our Constitution provides for the "separation of church and state".

As Eisenhower was taking the office of the Presidency, and as he swore on the Bible, he promised to uphold the Constitution of the United States. [/B]
This brings up a question I've always wondered about ...

If we are supposed to have a separation of church and state, and that "God" has no place in our government ... then why is it that the president swears on the Bible when he is sworn in?

Why not swear on the Constitution or The Bill of Rights?

Just curious.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Do you recall reading, above, that I mentioned the word "tradition"? That's all it is.

When we have our first Jewish President, he/she will be placing his/her hand on the two Torah scrolls.

IAAL

Last edited:
B

Boxcarbill

recycbride said:
Well, here a take on the pledge. The U.S. Supreme Court is going to have one helluva task when it decides Newdow since Newdow cites the U.S. Supreme Court case precedent through out their opinion.

You are taking the same position that the magistrate judge in Newdow v. U.S. Congress (the 9th circuit pledge case) took which is that ‘the ceremonial reference to God in the pledge does not convey endorsement of particular religious beliefs." The 9th circuit didn't agree and cited in its opinion a whole string of United States Supreme Court precedent which does not support the magistrate judge's conclusion. The following is only a very brief excerpt from that opinion but addresses a couple of your statements:

[4] In the context of the Pledge, the statement that the United States is a nation "under God" is an endorsement of religion. It is a profession of a religious belief, namely, a belief in monotheism. The recitation that ours is a nation ‘under God" is not a mere acknowledgment that many Americans believe in a deity. Nor is it merely descriptive of the undeniable historical significance of religion in the founding of the Republic. Rather, the phrase "one nation under God" in the context of the Pledge is normative. To recite the Pledge is not to describe the United States; instead, it is to swear allegiance to the values for which the flag stands: unity, indivisibility, liberty, justice, and--since 1954--monotheism. The text of the official Pledge, codified in federal law, impermissibly takes a position with respect to the purely religious question of the existence and identity of God. A profession that we are a nation "under God" is identical, for Establishment Clause purposes, to a profession that we are a nation "under Jesus," an "under Vishnu" a nation "under Zeus," or a nation "under not god," because none of the professions can be neutral with respect to religion. "[T]he government must pursue a course of complete neutrality toward religion." Wallace, 472 U.S. at 60. Furthermore, the school district's practice of teacher-led recitation of the Pledge aims to inculcate in students a respect for the ideals set forth in the Pledge, and thus amounts to state endorsement of a religious belief when it requires public school teachers to recite, and lead the recitation of, the current form of the Pledge.

The Supreme Court recognized and ideological nature of the Pledge in Barnette, 319 U.S. 624. There, the Court held unconstitutional a schooled district's wartime policy of punishing students who refused to recite the Pledge and salute the flag; Id. At 642. The Court noted that the school district was compelling the students "to declare a belief," id at 631, and "requir[ing] the individual to communicate by word and sign his acceptance of the political ideas [the flag]. . .bespeaks," id.at 633. "[T]he compulsory flag salute and pledge requires affirmation of a belief and an attitude of mind." Id. The Court emphasized that the political concepts articulated in the Pledge were idealistic, not descriptive; "‘[L]iberty and justice for all,' if it must be accepted as descriptive of the present order rather than an ideal, might to some seem an overstatement," Id, at 634n.14. The Court concluded that: "If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or at their faith therein," Id, at 642.

[5] The Pledge, as currently codified, is an impermissible government endorsement of religion because it sends a message to unbelievers "that they are outsiders, not full members of the political community, and an accompanying message to adherents that they are insiders, favored member of the political community," Lynch, 465 U.S. at 688 (O'Conner,J., concurring). Justice Kennedy, in his dissent in Allegheny, agreed;
y statute, the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag describes the United States as ‘one nation under God.' To be sure, no one is obligated to recite this phrase,. . .but it borders on sophistry to suggest that the reasonable atheist would not feel less than a full member of the political community every time his fellow Americans recited, as part of their expression of patriotism and love for county, a phrase he believed to be false.

boxcarbill response

I understand the legalities which have been brought forth on the issue with reference to the constitution--yet, I can't help but think after all these years, why now? We had atheists/agnostics forever--all of sudden this is a big issue. One can't help but to think back to the time they were in grade school (50's & 60's for me) the day was started with the pledge and a recitation of a psalm--no one took offense, no one even thought about it going against their constitutional rights--We didn't have metal detectors, no one brought weapons to school, no one opened-up gun fire in the school hallways, men teachers wore a coat & tie, woman teachers wore a suit or dress--I know, this is probably the stone-age to some people--but we sure respected our teachers, our parents and our country. The students had respect for each other, whatever color or race one was. Over the years, that has all changed. No one looked down at you for whatever your beliefs might be. Now, everyone is "suit" crazy, hung-up on their rights--pushing it to the extreme.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: boxcarbill response

recycbride said:
I understand the legalities which have been brought forth on the issue with reference to the constitution--yet, I can't help but think after all these years, why now? We had atheists/agnostics forever--all of sudden this is a big issue. One can't help but to think back to the time they were in grade school (50's & 60's for me) the day was started with the pledge and a recitation of a psalm--no one took offense, no one even thought about it going against their constitutional rights--We didn't have metal detectors, no one brought weapons to school, no one opened-up gun fire in the school hallways, men teachers wore a coat & tie, woman teachers wore a suit or dress--I know, this is probably the stone-age to some people--but we sure respected our teachers, our parents and our country. The students had respect for each other, whatever color or race one was. Over the years, that has all changed. No one looked down at you for whatever your beliefs might be. Now, everyone is "suit" crazy, hung-up on their rights--pushing it to the extreme.

My response:

Yes, we all used to watch The Ozzie & Harriet Show, Leave It To Beaver, and The Waltons. You're talking about an era gone by.

It all started to dramatically change after the assassinations of the Kennedy brothers, and of Martin Luther King. After those events, we've pretty much gone down the tubes.

IAAL

stephenk

I thought the balance of the universe tilted when the Brooklyn Dodgers finally won a World Series against the Yankees.

B

Boxcarbill

Re: Ah, the good ole days

recycbride said:
You my friend suffer from selective memory commonly called the good ole days. Discrimination was rampant. Blacks drank from a different water fountain and used a different bathroom. Teachers asked the male students what they wanted to be but brushed aside the girls with a "You'll get married and have children." If any girl dared to say that they wanted to become a doctor or a lawyer, they were corrected with "You can become a nurse or a secretary" but mostly it was "girls don't need college because they get married. Well, the civil rights movement of the 60's was about equality for minorities and women. As for as respect, well there were riots in the streets and riots in the campus. There was gunshots in Viet Nam and there were gun shots on campus from Mississippi State University to Kent state. There were billy club beatings and there were hosing downs and there were lock downs. There were killings of black children in churches and in day care centers and there were killing of civil rights workers and there were killing of political leaders.

As for no one taking offense at prayer in school and the pledge, both these issues made it up to the United States Supreme Court. In fact, one of my favorite quotes comes ENGEL v. VITALE, 370 U.S. 421 (1962) . "[T]he parents of ten pupils brought this action in a New York State Court insisting that use of this official prayer in the public schools was contrary to the beliefs, religions, or religious practices of both themselves and their children. The case was decided by the U.S.S.C. in 1962 and the following is my favorite quote from the opinion:

The Establishment Clause, unlike the Free Exercise Clause, does not depend upon any showing of direct governmental compulsion and is violated by the enactment of laws which establish an official religion whether those laws operate directly to coerce nonobserving individuals or not. This is not to say, of course, that [370 U.S. 421, 431] laws officially prescribing a particular form of religious worship do not involve coercion of such individuals. When the power, prestige and financial support of government is placed behind a particular religious belief, the indirect coercive pressure upon religious minorities to conform to the prevailing officially approved religion is plain. But the purposes underlying the Establishment Clause go much further than that. Its first and most immediate purpose rested on the belief that a union of government and religion tends to destroy government and to degrade religion. The history of governmentally established religion, both in England and in this country, showed that whenever government had allied itself with one particular form of religion, the inevitable result had been that it had incurred the hatred, disrespect and even contempt of those who held contrary beliefs. 13 That same history showed that many people had lost their respect for any religion that had relied upon the support of government to spread its faith. 14 The Establishment Clause [370 U.S. 421, 432] thus stands as an expression of principle on the part of the Founders of our Constitution that religion is too personal, too sacred, too holy, to permit its "unhallowed perversion" by a civil magistrate.

I agree, IAAL--it's been downhill ever since. One can't help but wonder what might have been. Boxcar--I am not suffering from selective memory--I remember it like it was yesterday--My point was even though we witnessed the assinations, the Kent State, we were not in the situation we are today. As far as Vietnam, no one likes war--we go in there, we think we're doing the right thing, we hope we're doing the right. Sadly, lives are lost. And, I was against the Vietnam war--but, I supported the men who had to fight it, the men who never came home. This country might not be perfect, but it is the best place to call "my country".

H

hexeliebe

recycbride

If you think this latest upheavel over 'God' is interesting, do a little research on Tennessee. Although several counties have passed non-binding resolutions affirming that 'GOD' is the traditional foundation of our country, one county which had displaied not only the 10 commandments but also the Laws of Hammurabi, passages from the Koran and various and sundry other religious tenents, has since voted to remove them.

Their reasonning? The constitution requires the separation of Church and State. Not just christian churches but ALL churches.

As for this being a different time than the 50s and 60s (and yes, unfortunately I was there) saying the pledge was a matter of rote for many as was military service, 'duck and cover' and other things that were never questioned until the Red Scare of the 40s and 50s and the assasinations of the 60s.

When people begin to question things change.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">