• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st Amendment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

elvapet

What is the name of your state? Tenn.
regarding something i heard, it made me wonder.
has it ever been established that the First Amendment allows people to lie, either about famous people or commonly unknown people?

R

Ramoth

Sure. I lie about people all the time. The First Amendment protects your speech from government interference. It does not, however, protect those making libelous or slanderous statements.

Bravo8

I'd agree with Ramoth. While I don't know if case law has ever established the protection of a lie, I would interpret the 1st Amendment to protect a lie as it would any other truthful statement.

The protection afforded does depend upon the nature of the lie, so-to-speak. If the statement amounts to a slanderous comment (generally it needs to be untrue, believed by someone, and cause some harm to the subject of the lie), then it would not be protected speech.

Additionally, it cannot violate other laws infringing upon others (the famous "Can't yell fire in a crowded theater" argument).

O

oberauerdorf

Based solely on the wording of your post, the easy answer is Yes.

Now, would you like me to explain that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">