• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is adverse possession unconstitutional

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bhirst

What is the name of your state? Pa is adverse possession unconstitutional?

B

bhirst

adverse possession

I think that adverse possession is a taking of property and that there should be just compensation when the courts award a person anothers property.

HomeGuru

Re: adverse possession

bhirst said:
I think that adverse possession is a taking of property and that there should be just compensation when the courts award a person anothers property.
**A: another sour grapes story?

JETX

Re: adverse possession

bhirst said:
Actually, the issue of 'adverse possession' often doesn't involve courts at all. It is simply a matter of a party not asserting their rights of ownership over a (usually) very long time.... and someone else benefiting from it.

adverse possession
n. a means to acquire title to land through obvious occupancy of the land, while claiming ownership for the period of years set by the law of the state where the property exists. This can arise when a rancher fences in a parcel contending he was to get title from some prior owner, and then grazes cattle on the property for many years without objection by the title holder. Payment of real property taxes and making improvements (such as paving or fencing) for the statutory period (varies by state) are evidence of adverse possession but cannot be used by a land grabber with no claim to title other than possession.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">