• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alford plea - polygraph

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MizKaty

What is the name of your state? NC

A defendant enters an Alford plea. In the process of presenting his evidence, the prosecutor discloses polygraph results.

Is this legal?

n_and

This is homework!!!! I got the same scenario. First off, it's Alfred plea. Secondly, the answer is relatively easy to find.

Last edited:
M

MizKaty

I've never heard of "Alfred Plea".....

An Alford Plea is a plea of guilty in which the defendant does not admit the act, but admits that the prosecution could likely prove the charge. The court will pronounce the defendant guilty. This plea originated in the United States Supreme Court case of North Carolina v Alford, 400 US 25. An Alford plea generally has the same effect as a plea of guilty with respect to sentencing, civil disability, and use of the conviction as an aggravating factor if the defendant is later convicted of another offense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alford_plea

n_and

MizKaty - I obviously am aware of what an alfred plea is. Please read above post for clarification. I too, could provide a link with Alfred plea, giving the same definition as Alford. But, I don't feel like it. I don't know which is correct. I do know I attend Brown for political science and take a few pre-law classes, and here, we call it an Alfred plea.

Dear Alfred,
Hahahaha I'm not a law student yet. :D I promise to get with the program at some point in the next 2 years. ;)

abezon

Well, the Supreme Court cites the Alford case when it deals with these issues, to that's the right answer. Anyone who said "Alfred plea" would be laughed at in court. By the judges.

D

Delaroche

So what's the point of entring an Alford plea if it will be treated the same as a guilty plea with respect to sentencing? Is it done just to save face?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">