• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

are any ammendments violated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dodat

I know someone in jail now that I think his rights are being violated? Please help me with this one. He first had an excessive bail for aggravated battery and when he went to arraignment, the judge and the prosecutor both stated that the bail was too high ($200,000) then they reduced it to 50,000. He also has a probation hold (no bond) for probation violation. He has not gone to pre-trial or trial yet for the charge of aggravated battery. They are depriving him of his liberty by keeping him without bail until the case is dismissed on his part. His lawyer has witnesses and statements that he is innocent, and his friend who he was with that night is admitting that he committed the crime. Why is his liberty being violated for 41 days so far, and he has yet to defend himself and prove his case. Is any of his ammendments being violated? Please help me better understand because I thought you were innocent until proved guilty, but in Louisiana, it seems you are guilty until proven innocent. Thanks for the input. If he is proven innocent, then he will not have violated his probation. Why keep someone in jail for that long who had a good job and a career going, and lots of potential...on an innocent charge. I just don't understand this.

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

I'm a civil practitioner (no pun intended). Sorry I cannot assist.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">