• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

audio recording

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KrazyKat

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I hope this is the right forum to be in, couldn't decide where it fit in. The company that I work for has installed audio/ video devices. Until today I wasn't sure if they were actually recording our conversations. I was venting to another employee when another employee came to me, pulled me away from the camera's and told me to watch it because the managers and other employees were watching and listening to my conversation. My General Manager actually turned the volume up all the way to better amuse herself and my co workers with my ramblings. I have been online for many hours and from all the different sites that I've read this seems like a violation of my privacy. Management has never informed us either verbally or written that we are being recorded. She was using it for her own amusement rather than legit business reasons. And she allowed my co workers to watch and listen in. Granted, I should have kept my venting to myself but I think she was out of line and in violation of the electronic monitoring regulations.
Any info would be appreciated.

BelizeBreeze

Indiana has no specific Employee video monitoring standards or statutes. Also, the U.S. Supreme Court, in O'Connor et al v. Ortega, has already weighed in on the differences between private versus public employer responsibilities in the recording of worker's and their expectation of 4th amendment rights.

The point of fact is, you know about the recording, it is taking place in an area where and expectation of privacy does not exists and you have done nothing to alleviate the situation.

Although it IS questionable that the audio portion of the recording is valid, with no specific statute addressing such in indiana, you would need to see a local attorney for an opinion on Indiana Case law.

As a rule, your situation does NOT lend itself to injunctive or any other form of relief. Keep your mouth shut at work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">