• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be forced to sign a document is it is not in the court order I do so?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blueeyes14424

What is the name of your state? ny

When my ex-husband and I were last in court for child support issues (which he has been dodging for years) his attorney asked that I sign an escrow check my ex had received made out to both of us (My name is still on our mortgage) and I replied with "I'll sign it when he gets my name off the house by refinancing", however, the hearing examiner simply nodded her head. Nothing was written in the order pertaining to this check. I have received two letters from my attorney stating that I must come into her office and sign this check over to my ex, she said I can't change my mind - I have to do it. I never said I would just do it, I want my name removed first. Can they really make me sign this? Aren't my rights being violated in some way by forcing me to do this? It's not fair, he has not stuck to any orders and this isn't even in the order and they are demanding I do it. He has said he would do several things in court (such as turning over his guns to me to pay for daycare costs) but he never did and the sheriff department would not enforce that because there was no order signed by a judge. What should I do?

B

blueeyes14424

I wanted to know if my rights were being violated in some way as per the amendments to the constitution. I didn't see any other place on this site where I could post this type of question. Sorry if I disturbed you, but I thought this site was to get help.

JETX

"Sorry if I disturbed you"
*** You didn't 'disturb' me. You just posted your question in the wrong forum.

"but I thought this site was to get help."
*** It is.... when YOU follow the rules. Since your post has to do with "child support issues" don't you think that a more appropriate forum would be: "Child Custody, Visitation & Support"??

B

blueeyes14424

It's NOT a child support issue - we just happen to have discussed it when we were in court last time for another issue, that being support. But me being forced to sign an escrow check has nothing to do with the support oder. With all that being said, why can't I just get an answer for the following question:

"Are your rights being violated under the US Constitution if you are told you HAVE to sign a document, particularly when there is no court order stating you have to".

Thank you.

JETX

"Are your rights being violated under the US Constitution if you are told you HAVE to sign a document, particularly when there is no court order stating you have to".
*** Okay, lets try it your way.....
No. There is no 'constitutional right' to not signing a document. If you feel there is and I have misread the US Constitution, please provide a 'hint' at its location.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">