• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can letters be shared publicly?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

repete000

What is the name of your state? California
When a company sends you a "cease and desist" letter can it be shared publicly (example - in the media and on the Internet)? Would the letter become your property to do whatever you want with?
What about for other types of letters (example - personal letters).
I am guessing that this would all come down to expectation of privacy. Yes? No?

HomeGuru

repete000 said:
What is the name of your state? California
When a company sends you a "cease and desist" letter can it be shared publicly (example - in the media and on the Internet)? Would the letter become your property to do whatever you want with?
What about for other types of letters (example - personal letters).
I am guessing that this would all come down to expectation of privacy. Yes? No?
**A: of course. Share the letters with media and scan and post them on your website.

S

sec8

If you post a letter everywhere as HomeGuru suggests you may open yourself up to harrasment and a libal claim.

Z

zander_zye

I doubt this is true. While I am not an attorney, I do know that once you receive anything, it is yours to do so as you please. The person sending it no longer has any right to privacy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">