• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil Actions in Maine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

litespeed62

My daughter was sexually abused at the age of three by my father in law. This was thoroughly investigated and brought to the ME District Attorney's office for review, but because of her need to testify, her age and the additional potential harm she may experience my husband and I decided not to pursue criminal charges. However, during the course of the investigation my husband and I discovered that two of my sisters in law had also been sexually abused when young children by my father in law. At this time we are considering filing a civil action on behalf of our now four year old daughter. Do we have a basis for a civil case? Since we live in New Hampshire and the crime occurred in Maine, where would we pursue legal action? Would we be able to combine the crimes against my sisters in law since he was never prosecuted for those either? Would we be able to include the emotional harm/stress that my husband, I and our two other children have suffered since this happened to our daughter? Thank you for your assitance.

racer72

Please excuse the backwoods mentality, but have you considered having the S.O.B. shot? The man is sick and needs to be put away. By not pressing charges, you may have doomed another child to needless pain and agony. How many times must he do this before he is locked up? By not pressing charges, you have probably waived any right to seek damages in civil court. There is no statute of limitations for capital offenses of which child rape is. You all need to get together and have the man charged with the crimes. If you are allowed to file civil charges, you will have to do it in Maine, where the assault took place. As a minor under the age of 8, your daughter should not be required to testify in court. Please do something before this happens again.

L

litespeed62

Maine requires children take the stand and face the accused. I don't agree with that but that is what we are faced with. In conjunction with our daughter's counselor we decided that the stress and stigma of her appearing in court will be more damaging to her. She is only four. As your response shows adults can barely deal with this nevermind a four year old. Therefore our only option is to pursue a civil action and that is why I posted- to see if we have any basis whatsoever. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">