• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

coersed into signing a document or be fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

4afriend

An individual is coersed into signing a document acknowledging fault to an accident although the individual knew it was not his/her fault. Not signing the document meant instant termination. Once document was signed, individual was surprised with $10,000.00 in punitive damages, a demotion, and company wide humiliation.

Did the company violate the individuals civil rights with their coersion and can the company be sued for violating the individuals civil rights?

Last edited:

4afriend

Basically, the individual was coerced by a boss who, as a rule is very intimidating. This boss stated, you must sign this document which means you acknowledge an understanding that the company finds you at fault. He then verbally stated, it does not necessarily mean you admit guilt but you must sign it none the less or we will terminate your employment immediately. The signiture was given.

There is a long story (obviously) behind this to which I thought I would spare you all of and hope to remain in that regard. Were the persons civil rights violated through coersion? Thank-you

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the statement was to the effect that the employee admitted guilt, I'd feel differently about this. But since it is only to the effect of confirming that the employee understands that the COMPANY finds the person at fault, frankly, I don't have a problem with it.

What good would it have done the person to refuse to sign? Signing it does not mean admitting guilt; the boss said that specifically. If the company wants a statement to the effect of, yes, I understand that the company finds me at fault, there's nothing actionable about that.

Again, if the company were insisting upon a statement ADMITTING fault, I'd answer differently.

4afriend

As awlays, my sincere appreciation for an answer. I'm afraid I may have confused the issue and myself in the process. Your answer still comes through you will see as I clarify this once and for all.

The document in no uncertain terms, reads the individual admits fault with a signature.

The boss willfully misinterpreted what the letter said to further entice the individual to sign it. Much like someone saying "Don't worry about it says, its just an administrative necessity. Besides if you don't, you'll lose your job anyway so sign it and be done with it.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">