• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Documents from the internet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rbposmom

virginia
if you print information from an offical government website (with the website address printed on the document), can you use this data in a court of law or should it be considered merely as "hearsay"?

P

pamela vandi

you can use it

I am not an attorney. I think you can use it. I suggest that you make a copy of the document to give to the opposing party in court. They will probably want a copy, and may be entitled to one.

HomeGuru

rbposmom said:
virginia
if you print information from an offical government website (with the website address printed on the document), can you use this data in a court of law or should it be considered merely as "hearsay"?

**A: if the document speaks for itself and one can hear it, then the hearsay rule applies. Notwithstanding, once the document is here, it could be considered heresay.

B

Boxcarbill

rbposmom said:
virginia
This has nothing to do with constitutional law.

It is a rules of evidence question. Hearsay is a statement, including a writing, made out of court offered in court to prove the truth of the matter asserted. Unless the document is admissible under one of the exceptions to the hearsay rule or unless the document is admissible under another rule of evidence, it isn't coming in. Whether your copy of a government document is such a document is anyone guess without knowing exactly what the government document is and what all it includes and the reason it is being offered into evidence. A Virginia lawyer with access to the document and knowledge of the rules of evidence could answer this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">