• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extent of counsel's ineffectiveness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dswaze

What is the name of your state? CA

If counsel is constitutionally ineffective for failing to file a notice of appeal when defendant expressed interest in appealing....would counsel then also be ineffective for failing to file a motion for appointment of counsel, when the final outcome (appeal not heard on the merits) is the same?

B

Boxcarbill

This makes no sense. How was ineffective assistance of counsel determined if not on appeal? If this is a criminal case and I'm presuming that it is, then the attorney who filed the appeal on the basis of ineffective assistance of counsel appealed the case. Like I said, your post makes no sense.

D

dswaze

I'm sorry you don't quite understand my post. Let me try to clarify. Under Roe v. Flores-Ortega, the Supreme court held that counsel is constitutionally ineffective for failing to file a Notice of Appeal when a rational defendant would want to appeal or a particular defendant expressed a desire to appeal. (ineffectiveness was found on writ of habeas corpus, for an appeal that was never heard - to answer your question). My specific question is whether or not any one here would agree that if the above is held, for counsel failing to file a notice of appeal, if then counsel would be ineffective for failing to motion the appellate court for counsel on appeal.... the end result being the same, an appeal not heard on the merits.

I hope that makes a little more sense.

B

Boxcarbill

dswaze said:
I'm sorry you don't quite understand my post. Let me try to clarify. Under Roe v. Flores-Ortega, the Supreme court held that counsel is constitutionally ineffective for failing to file a Notice of Appeal when a rational defendant would want to appeal or a particular defendant expressed a desire to appeal. (ineffectiveness was found on writ of habeas corpus, for an appeal that was never heard - to answer your question). My specific question is whether or not any one here would agree that if the above is held, for counsel failing to file a notice of appeal, if then counsel would be ineffective for failing to motion the appellate court for counsel on appeal.... the end result being the same, an appeal not heard on the merits.

I hope that makes a little more sense.
Actually you didn't do much for clarification and what little clarification you did provide was lost by both your misunderstanding of the facts and the holding in Roe v. Flores-Ortega. First, the issue in that case is whether counsel is deficient for not filing a notice of appeal when the defendant has not clearly conveyed his wishes one way or the other regarding appeal?

Second the court found that the court below failed to apply either part of the two part Strickland test in evaluating whether counsel was constitutionally ineffective for failing to file a notice of appeal; nor was there sufficient information in the record to make the determination that counsel was constitutionally ineffective. The case was remanded to the trial court for further proceedings consistent with the court's opinion.

Third, it is the First and Nineth circuit court of appeals which have held that counsel must file a notice of appeal unless the defendant specifically instructs otherwise and that failure to do so is per se deficient. The Court in Roe v. Flores-Ortega rejected this per se rule as inconsistent with Strickland 's holding that "the performance inquiry must be whether counsel's assistance was reasonable considering all the circumstances."

Finally, the court did not hold "that counsel is constitutionally ineffective for failing to file a Notice of Appeal when a rational defendant would want to appeal or a particular defendant expressed a desire to appeal." What the court held in this regard is that "counsel has a constitutionally-imposed duty to consult with the defendant about an appeal when there is reason to think either (1) that a rational defendant would want to appeal (for example , because there are nonfrivolous grounds for appeal), or (2) that this particular defendant reasonably demonstrated to counsel that he was interested in appealing." The court specifically rejected a bright-line rule that counsel must always consult with the defendant regarding an appeal, stating " We cannot say, as a constitutional matter, that in every case counsel's failure to consult with the defendant about an appeal is necessarily unreasonable, and therefore deficient."

Therefore the answer to your question is that it depends upon all the surrounding circumstances as to whether counsel will be found to be constitutionally ineffective.

D

dswaze

MR. Boxcarbill :)

There is really no need to be snippy. Thank you for that much needed clarification. I am only interested in learning the true interpretation of each case. So thank you. I do my best. It definitely opened my eyes, to the great misunderstanding I had. So perhaps you would be willing to help me understand a few more things. The court also said “Counsel who consults with the defendant performs in a professionally unreasonable manner only by failing to follow the defendant's express instructions about an appeal.” Right? Okay, so again, would you Mr. BoxCarBill - think - that where notice of appeal not being filed on time or at all might be considered the result (maybe I said that wrong) of ineffective assistance of counsel - that it might also be the same if a Notice of Appeal was filed and not a motion for appointment of counsel.

PS....thank you at least your willing to answer my post! :)

D

dswaze

Well, then now that we cleared that up! Any comments on the intent of my post.

B

Boxcarbill

Re: MR. Boxcarbill :)

dswaze said:
There is really no need to be snippy.

My response: What can I say: It is the nature of the beast or maybe it's the nature of your preception. If it is the nature of the beast, then all that I can say is that the beast is not likely to change at this stage in life.

Thank you for that much needed clarification. I am only interested in learning the true interpretation of each case. So thank you.

My response: You're welcome

I do my best. It definitely opened my eyes, to the great misunderstanding I had. So perhaps you would be willing to help me understand a few more things. The court also said “Counsel who consults with the defendant performs in a professionally unreasonable manner only by failing to follow the defendant's express instructions about an appeal.” Right?

My response: Correct.

Okay, so again, would you Mr. BoxCarBill - think - that where notice of appeal not being filed on time or at all might be considered the result (maybe I said that wrong) of ineffective assistance of counsel - that it might also be the same if a Notice of Appeal was filed and not a motion for appointment of counsel.

My response: Anything might happen. But like I said earlier, it depends on all the circumstances and what counsel understood at the time. I'm sorry but I just cannot tell you beyond that it might be.

PS....thank you at least your willing to answer my post! :)

D

dswaze

Mr. Bill (now thats funny!)

I have to say I like the beast! Thanks.. Well my personal opinion is they (in my circumstances) are the same. Lets pray it works. I will be back when I can think of another question...Just so you can answer. Have a great day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">