• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Free Speech Violation on Forums?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

digx

What is the name of your state? Florida

A company posted an advertisement on a forum without violating any rules. I recognized the company and I had a bad experience with it. I wanted to post it on that open forum and once I did it got deleted and I got banned from the forum for it. I didn't get banned by the forum owner however, I got banned by the company that was making that advertisement.

Is he violating my right to state my opinion?

The forum website and company are operated in the United States.

You Are Guilty

digx said:

A company posted an advertisement on a forum without violating any rules. I recognized the company and I had a bad experience with it. I wanted to post it on that open forum and once I did it got deleted and I got banned from the forum for it. I didn't get banned by the forum owner however, I got banned by the company that was making that advertisement.

Bill of RIghts said:
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
Does that tell you the answer?

BelizeBreeze

digx said:

What makes you think that constitutional rights derive from private parties? Unless the forum is owned by the U.S. Government, the only right you have is to piss and moan.

You Are Guilty

BelizeBreeze said:
What makes you think that constitutional rights derive from private parties? Unless the forum is owned by the U.S. Government, the only right you have is to piss and moan.
Echo... echo... echo... echo.. echo...

:p

BelizeBreeze said:
As a result of the 14th Amendment and subsequent court decisions, the Free Speech Clause also applies to restrictions on free speech passed by state governments. But in either case you need government action for the 1st Amendment to apply.

You Are Guilty

Rhubarb297 said:
As a result of the 14th Amendment and subsequent court decisions, the Free Speech Clause also applies to restrictions on free speech passed by state governments. But in either case you need government action for the 1st Amendment to apply.
Echo2... echo2... echo2... echo2... echo2... echo2... echo2...

S

seniorjudge

Q: Is he violating my right to state my opinion?

A: No. For example, if you wanted to, you could write a letter to the editor of a newspaper with your opinion.

badapple40

seniorjudge said:
Q: Is he violating my right to state my opinion?

A: No. For example, if you wanted to, you could write a letter to the editor of a newspaper with your opinion.
Come on seniorjudge, you should know better.... he's got to be a government actor before the FA applies.

Then you get into content-nuetral/content-specific/time/place/manner/ and all that other stuff.

S

seniorjudge

badapple40 said:
Come on seniorjudge, you should know better.... he's got to be a government actor before the FA applies.
Agreed...what made you think I thought otherwise?

S

seniorjudge

**A: because at times you're not wise and other times you're otherwise.

Thank you for clearing that up.

badapple40

seniorjudge said:
Agreed...what made you think I thought otherwise?
The fact you indicated alternatives seemed to indicate to me that you had gone to the time place manner analysis without even looking at whether there was any governmental activity.

Per usual, perhaps I was reading too m,uch into it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">