• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ekaz

What is the name of your state? Illinois
Not Sure this is the right forum....but any help is appreciated

16 yr old Daughter got a traffic ticket. My daughter claims she is innocent and I promissed to stick by her come hell or high water through this.

We contested the ticket and are set for a jury trial next week. The DA in charge has been prety ignorant to this point because she/we refuse to simply fold and pay the fines.

He informed us today, that on the date scheduled for trial, he may not even "get to us" if there are other cases before hers. "You will probably be here all day waiting" is his last ditch effort to get us to just pay the fines.

MY QUESTION....

I am a disabled person. Suffer from a major back injury and 2 failed spinal fusions to date that make sitting or standing for long periods of time unbearable.
I KNOW at some point during the day of "waiting" I will need to lay down to relieve the pain caused from the sitting and or the hard brace I am stuck in.
I also KNOW that the judge will probably not appreciate my lying down in his court room.

Can the judge toss me out of his court if I am forced to lay down?

Can I ask the judge in advance for some sort of accomodation in advance? (Quickly call daughters case....an '"armed" chair or something that helps me keep the weight off my back while waiting?)

Worse case senario ...can he cite me for contempt of court or something if I cant sit up during the whole ordeal?

R

Ramoth

Contact the courthouse and ask them what accomodations they can offer you.

E

ekaz

Thanks for the suggestion

Ive already tried that route, and was met with blank faces and looks of bewilderment from 4 different "supervisors" in the clerks office.

Nobody had an answer or suggestion... thats why Im trying here.

The court house is located in "smallville" Illinois. A farming community.... a nice place to live in general, but often seems someone forgot to wind THE clock, and it stopped. :rolleyes:

I asked that the clerks SOMEHOW notify the judge of my condition ahead of time so that he doesnt get upset and have me tossed out or arrested.

At this point it seems the best I can do is HOPE he has a good day?

E

ekaz

Just bring a doctors letter to court
I appreciate that suggestion....but find myself somewhat upset by it at the same time.

I have a state issued Disabled Persons ID card which required a pile of paper work from my Drs. to obtain. I wear a hard shelled brace to help support my back as I heal from my last surgery....and I have a host of screws, plates and other metal hardware permanantly holding my back together that set off the metal detectors.

Though I am NOT a wheel chair bound quad, or missing obvious body appendages I am medically, legally and 'technically' disabled. I worked HARD to relearn to walk without my canes or walkers....mostly to avoid the embarassment factor. Im 46, and for the minutes I can tolerate sitting, I might even appear "normal and healthy" to most people....even a judge.

Spend more of my limited income to obtain yet more DRs letters?
Maybe I can rent or borrow a reclining wheel chair from our Lions club for a day ...might be cheaper.... and I wouldnt have to PROVE my disability to be able to 'be there' in a court of law for my daughter. :eek:

C

cynthia9

Hope this helps.

:confused: Please be aware that the people that you are contacting are probably NOT the right individuals.

;) The courthouse Administrator or Courthouse Manager would be the proper person to contact.

Also, make sure that any letter sent is sent via "return receipt requested" so that the letter will get immediate attention. It cost about $3.00 but should get you a quit response and should get you one from the correct person.

Also, after they receive it, follow up with a phone call directly to the Administrator or Manager.

The Administrator is in charge of everything that goes on inside the BUILDING whether it has to do with housing judges or housing paint supplies, this is the person that is legally responsible for assisting those patrons with disabilities and are required just like everyone else to follow the Disabilities Act in accomodating those who are in special needs situations.

If this persons office is unable to assist you then please ask for the name and address of her/his boss so that you can make a complaint to the disabilities organizations. When complaining include both the person and their boss as being the problem.

Then send of copy of the complaint letter to the person, advising them that you are a person who does NOT wish to send such a problem causing letter and would the person please fix the problem within the next ten days, or you would be obligated to mail the complaint letter with a copy sent also to the persons boss.

Again return receipt requested so you have proof that the mail was delivered.

:D Hope this Helps,

Cynthia

THis is not legal information so much as it is general information.

Please make sure that this information is posted to the FreeAdvice Website because this information was very hard won information, about 5 years of being psychologically tortured and abused by a court system that DOES NOT police itself, and therefore needs all the complaints they deserve, in hopes that policing will get better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">