• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long does the S.C. take to make a decision?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unipsychologist

I'm really eager to find out the outcome of the US Supreme Court appeal of the recent Florida cases that had committed felons under the age of 18 to life in prison without parole. But all news reports on the topic seem to have ceased. Does anyone out there have a sense of how long the USSC usually takes to return a decision like that? I realize that must depend on a lot of things, but I have no experience in these matters. Are we expecting an answer to come on the order of weeks, months, or years?

Thanks!

Mass_Shyster

I'm really eager to find out the outcome of the US Supreme Court appeal of the recent Florida cases that had committed felons under the age of 18 to life in prison without parole. But all news reports on the topic seem to have ceased. Does anyone out there have a sense of how long the USSC usually takes to return a decision like that? I realize that must depend on a lot of things, but I have no experience in these matters. Are we expecting an answer to come on the order of weeks, months, or years?

Thanks!
Using a sample size of 1, a case that was argued on November 11 of last year was decided on January 20 of this year. WOOD v. ALLEN, COMMISSIONER, ALABAMA DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS, ET AL.

I found this at

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/09slipopinion.html

Ronin

What was noted above was a case that was actually accepted and argued at the Supreme Court, so this is not relevant to the question at hand. The question relates to an initial filing of a petition for writ of certiorari.

Generally, the response to a petition is anywhere from a couple of months to six months.

Just because an appeal is made to the supreme court does not mean they will agree to hear it.

The U.S. Supreme Court declines to hear over 99% of the cases brought before it each year. So, many cases that are arguably important and briefly make headlines die quietly with nothing more than a small note in the Supreme Court docket stating Certiorari Denied.

Such cases are over and yesterdays news as far as the press is concerned. Which is probably why the press does not appear to be interested in this case any longer.

FlyingRon

I think he's looking at Graham v. Florida.

Here are some links on the SCOTUS activity. They've heard the arguments late last year.

http://www.scotuswiki.com/index.php?title=Graham_v._Florida
http://www.oyez.org/cases/2000-2009/2009/2009_08_7412

The opinions aren't normally set on any particular schedule, but they usually are done before the summer recess.

Mass_Shyster

The question relates to an initial filing of a petition for writ of certiorari.
That's not how I understood the question. I assumed the case had already been argued.

Also, increasing my earlier sample size shows the opinions are not published in the order they are argued.

FlyingRon

As I said, if it's the case I think he's talking about it was argued in November.
As Stevef has recognized and I already stated, the opinions come out at the justices convenience. They're not first in/first out and the justices multitask hearing new arguments while deliberating and writing opinions on the older ones.

As I stated, what you'll find is that they'll usually dispense with everything that was argued by the summer recess in June.
That's usually. Sometimes if something is big and not too pressing it may slide even further (note the Citizens United v. FEC decision that was just handed down but argued last March).

There was also Sullivan v. Florida, heard at the same time. (Two different kids sent up for life w/o parole).

Last edited:

Ronin

I'm really eager to find out the outcome of the US Supreme Court appeal of the recent Florida case...
That's not how I understood the question. I assumed the case had already been argued.
Steve, the original question is ambiguous enough that one could assume either way, so my suggesting your assumption was incorrect was a mistake. Your response based upon your assumption is correct.

My assumption was based solely upon the odds of certiorari being granted, the vagueness of the question and lack of more case info. My response based upon my assumption is correct.

However, both your assumption and response are correct, since this case is Graham v Florida (or is that Sullivan v Florida?) as Ron noted.

But either would be a winner ;)

Last edited:

unipsychologist

Thanks all. Indeed my question was regarding the Graham v Florida and Sullivan v Florida cases - I should have said so. Sounds like I should expect to wait at least until June.

So, what are your educated guesses? Will minors be immunized from life in prison without parole, or will state retain the power to decide?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">