• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A Lawyer is Lying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nancydrew86

I have been sent a letter by an attorney who says their client is in posession of a promissory note signed by me. I have never signed such a note. I am sure that the attorney knows there is no such note. Is there any legal recourse I can take against the attorney? Knowingly lying about evidence? Please help me.

racer72

Are the attorney and his client friends or aquaintances? Have you seen a copy of the promissory note? An attorney has no legal power what so ever to make you pay on this note. It would require a civil lawsuit in a court and they would have to prove you signed the note. Ask the attorney for a copy of the note (I believe you have the right to see it under what is called a discovery law) and compare the signatures. If it is obvious that you did not sign it, tell the lawyer to either back off or sue you. If his client loses, he could be held responsible for any expense you incur defending yourself.

N

Not Guilty

1. In writing ask attorney to arrange time to have your handwriting expert examine the note. 2. Explain in same letter once handwriting analysis is done you will be hiring an attorney to sue attorney and client once expert reveals that you did not sign the note. 3. CC local attorney bar association. 4. You should receive apology shortly. THIS IS JUST A SUGGESTION, NOT ADVISE. FOR ADVISE CONTACT LOCAL ATTORNEY FAMILIAR WITH NEGOTIABLE INSTRUMENTS AND TORT LAW.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">