• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To make a new law for spywares?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

The Internet is filled with spywares such as CWS Search which hijacked your browser without your permission. There ought to be a law to prohibit from authors to release spywares.

Is there a way to propose this to the Congress?

Thanks, Tom

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TomHartmann said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee

The Internet is filled with spywares such as CWS Search which hijacked your browser without your permission. There ought to be a law to prohibit from authors to release spywares.

Is there a way to propose this to the Congress?

Thanks, Tom

My response:

You don't.

Do you know where the Internet is, and comes from? I'll answer those for you - - it's all over the world, and it comes from every country in the world. How do you propose that Congress can pass a law that will be obeyed by someone in Russia?

In other words, the Internet doesn't stop at the boundaries of the United States.

IAAL

mrtoledo

Software that is truley "Spyware" and not a virus does not install itself. Typically you download somthing you want and part of the licence you accept to install says you agree to have this other software installed as well. Also some websites will have pop-ups that says "Do you want to install xxxx". If you hit YES you agreed to it.

Most industrialized countires have laws against computer hacking/viruses, however spyware is somthing you have actually installed on your computer. I hate it just as much as the next person, but it is there.

Is there some example of spyware you got on your PC? Do you know where it came from?

Thanks

I agreed with IAAL which the Internet doesn't stop in the USA. However, for Mr Toledo's reply, the spyware is called CWS Search which makes your browser's homepage goes there each time you launch. Ever if you changed back to your favorite homepage, it kept on switching back to that homepage.

And no, there wasn't a popup that asking me if it was okay. You just surf around which CWS Search somehow got in. By the way, there is an excellent utility called CWS Shredder that removed CWS and its traces which it worked out great.

Thanks IAAL and MrToledo,

Thanks, Tom

L

Lorelei

I had the same problem with spyware until a friend of mine told me to do a search for Spybot search and destroy and download it.
Once its downloaded, run it (takes a few minutes) and every hidden spyware will show up and then be removed.
First time I ran it I had over 20 items pop up. Now I run it about once a week.
Hope it helps!

mrtoledo

TomHartmann said:
And no, there wasn't a popup that asking me if it was okay. You just surf around which CWS Search somehow got in. By the way, there is an excellent utility called CWS Shredder that removed CWS and its traces which it worked out great.
The CWS Search is technically a brower Hi-jacker and not spyware. The brower attacks are possible because of "swiss-chesse" security design in our computer operating systems. There are laws that make this type of activity illegal, but because most of the responsible partys are hard to track down in different countries, prosuction is near impossible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">