• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

military law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

spongebob

What is the name of your state? florida. son age 17teen joined the marines i signed the ok . but he now has cold feet doesnot want to go in . he went to a hearing told them he didnot want to go they told him he has to join its to late to back out . they ask him if he was a fraid he told them no he wants to go to school but not through the marine corp.again they said its to late but you can go in as a researve. but he does not want to do that either.he leaves in oct for basic. he really wants out. hes a good kid just got out of high school he can seceed with out there help. hes only 17teen does he have to go. he take a eye and hearing test aug8 . worried dad thank you

K

Klord

I don’t have an answer, but I do want to comment. I have been in the military for over 18 years (u.s. navy). From my point of view, there is nothing worse than serving with someone that was forced against their free will to stay in. That sort of people hold back everyone else and ruin morale and are the least productive. If I was forced to serve as you son in the same circumstances, I would have the same attitude.

Your son has not been to boot camp or any addition schools. No real money and time has been invested in him "yet". I think it is absolutely stupid and asinine to force someone to serve given the circumstance that you have explained. Even after a contract has been signed.

Go see a retired JAG office that is still in practice or any civilian that practices military law. For a small or reasonable fee, you should get some good advice.

Myself…. I would write to congress and explain how their tax money is going to waste on someone who does not want to be in the military and who has not even been too boot camp where no real money and time has been invested “yet”. At the advice of my attorney, I have had success in the past with letters to congress when the military tried to permanently separate me from my family under unreasonable circumstances because of some stupid instruction that the bureau of naval personnel had.

My two cents...

racer72

If your son has not signed his enlistment contract, he cannot be forced to go. This is done at the same time the oath to serve is given. This is done for folks that use delayed entry into the service. When the oath is given, the person is technically in the reserves. Failure to then report could result in a federal prison sentence.

You say he has to take an eye and hearing test. This is usually done at the time of the entrance physical. If he has not had a physical, he is not enlisted. He can also "fail" the eye or hearing exam too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">