• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my car was impounded illegally!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rsoto54

state=ca, city=hawthorne
my vehicle was impounded by local police when my friend was caught driving without a license. there was no other crime. the car was parked legally on a public street but the police had it towed anyway. it is legally registered and insured and not involved in any investigation. the police will not release my vehicle until after a 30 day minimum impound period. i have been charged with no crime nor have i been given any citation or shown a warrant for the seizure of my property (i was not at the scene). when i asked the police department why they would not release my vehicle they said it was to penalize me for the actions of my friend.

is this legal? are my fourth and fourteeth amendment rights being violated? what can i do ? help!!!

F

FKNA

I'm assuming your friend was driving and was pulled over. If that's the case, it doesn't matter how legally he parked, they had the right to tow the car.

What bothers me is them keeping the vehicle for 30 days. I don't see how they have the right to do that and I'd definitely contact an attorney regarding the 30 days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">