• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Privacy Act Question, SSN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

EvelynGranger

State of New Jersey

I am putting together a brochure of classes, etc. for a company which teaches insurance topics. Part of the brochure is a registration page where input needed is name, phone, fax, etc. I am told by a coworker that there has been a change or addition to some privacy act which may or may not affect the brochure.

Is our business allowed to ask for SSN (mandatory) when our pupils are submitting registration forms, individually, in groups, or through a company? We use them in a confidential database for the purpose of identity, filing and billing. For the moment I just slapped an asterisk and and "optional" next to SSN in the form so we will ask for SSN in person, since that would be more secure.

H

hexeliebe

You can ask for anything you wish. However, the participants also have the right not to give you that information.

And, unless you can show a good reason WHY you require the information, you'll have a hard time defending your actions should you not let someone attend for failure to give you the information.

tigger22472

To add what Hex said... After which obtaining this info YOU need to know what you are legally able to do with it. The privacy act is to stop unauthorized people from giving out info on others, so the people registering are giving you their info but it's you who has to watch what they do with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">