• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question: Civil vs. Criminal lawsuits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hans2234

What is the name of your state? Utah. This is as simply as I can put my question: O.J. was accused of murder in a criminal court and got off. Then a civil suit was brought against him. I do not have a lot of money, and I was having problems with criminal actions against me. So I went to the Utah legal Aid, and they said they cannot help, they only deal with civil cases because they recieve federal dollars. I was told they cannot help in any way with criminal cases. But if O.J. was sued for murder in a civil suit, doesn't that mean I can "reinterpret" things so that a criminal action can be dealt with with a civil suit? I.e., since a murder was adjudicated under a civil suit, doesn't that mean any crime can be dealt with under a civil suit? If my problems fall into the realm of civil lawsuits, I can get legal aid. Hope that's clear enough.

H

hexeliebe

O.J's Criminal case was brought by the state for violation of a statute, i.e., Murder.

The civil matter was brought by the FAMILY of his ex wife i.e., civil.

These were two separate and distinct cases which were not related except in facts.

If the charges are being brought by the state, i.e., prosecuting attorney, then it is a criminal matter.

H

hans2234

Reply (Another question):

Thanks for replying; So let me see if I got this straight: Any crime tried by the state can also be translated into civil court? Thanks for responses.

H

hexeliebe

Naturlich Konnen Sie. Sie konnen auch von Deutsch ubersetzt werden.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">