• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

RE: Civil Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Imbertie

Hi, I live in Oregon and I need to know if my civil rights are being voilated by the Parole & Probation Department . . . my husband is currently on Probation, but I am not. I have never been convicted of ANY crimes, yet my husbands Probation Officer wants me to submit to UA's and now I just learned today also wants me to complete D & A Treatment before he will allow us contact. They told me they don't have the resources or funding to put him through treatment, yet they can afford to put me on random UA's (not court ordered, they call it voluntary) and want me to complete treatment. They've never even asked him to complete treatment. We are legally married, and there has never been any kind of violence between us. Can they keep us apart if I don't agree to their conditions. Isn't that violating my rights? We tried to file a Writ of Habeaus Corpus, but for some reason or other we were told it didn't go through. I'm not sure what my rights are here, but it would seem I would have some.

R

Rakym75

Probation & Parole can be pretty tough people. Although they can't do anything to you; they can make things a little rough for him. Part of P & P's function is to make sure the transition between incarceration & freedom, is one that is conducive to him staying free. So, if they feel there's going to be drugs & alcohol at the place where he is going to be, then of course they can demand that he find somewhere else to stay until he's off probation/parole, or they are comfortable w/ the conditions of his residence. In short, they can't make you do anything, but as for him, they have all the jurisdiction they need to evaluate his "sponsor" & environment. Of course you should always check w/ an attorney if you don't think it's right. Good luck.

I

Imbertie

Aren't they doing something to me by keeping my husband away from me if I do not give into their conditions? And shouldn't I be innocent until proven guilty? In effect what they are saying is that I either give up my right to be with my husband, or give up my right to privacy. By the way, this didn't come about until 10 months after my husband started probation. I just don't understand how it can be legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">