• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A Right to Privacy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RandyInKC

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Missouri

In early February I was fired from a job because I was told that my job performance had declined. I was called out of the office and terminated from employment in a public place and was told that I couldn't go back to the office to pick up my personal property, which included my laptop computer. Since that time I have made several attempts to get my final pay and schedule a time to drop off company owned equipment and pick up my personal property. I received an email from my former employer stating that they had found information on my personal laptop computer, chat's and pictures, and that she was holding my pay and personal property while she consulted with her attorney. These pictures and chat transcripts are not illegal in anyway. My question is, does my former employer have the right to dig into my personal computer? Does my former employer have the right to hold my personal property like this? I realize that this is probably a civil matter, but any assistance in case law would be helpful as I continue to negotiate for the return of my personal property.

Thanks

Last edited:

badapple40

RandyInKC said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Missouri

In early February I was fired from a job because I was told that my job performance had declined. I was called out of the office and terminated from employment in a public place and was told that I couldn't go back to the office to pick up my personal property, which included my laptop computer. Since that time I have made several attempts to get my final pay and schedule a time to drop off company owned equipment and pick up my personal property. I received an email from my former employer stating that they had found information on my personal laptop computer, chat's and pictures, and that she was holding my pay and personal property while she consulted with her attorney. These pictures and chat transcripts are not illegal in anyway. My question is, does my former employer have the right to dig into my personal computer? Does my former employer have the right to hold my personal property like this? I realize that this is probably a civil matter, but any assistance in case law would be helpful as I continue to negotiate for the return of my personal property.

Thanks
Sue her for conversion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">