• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

slander

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hedwig

what should we do? my husband and i coach for our local school and in the 1998/1999 school year his team decided after a lose they would have a mud fight. the mud slinging ended and he was going over details for the next game when two of the kids decided to pick up more mud and charge each other. my husband put his arms between them both to stop them and they both fall back. he talked to the parents of both children and the matter never came up both children remained on the team. the next year one of the same kids from the mud fight decided he would walk around practice with a cone over his genital area. his was put out of that practice and sidelined for the first two games. two days later after church the parent confronted my husband and the league director saying that her son said the coach threw the ball in his face trying to hurt him. the league director who's son is also on the team was asked what happened and he said the coach was throwing the ball to each playr to catch but was throwing in the chest area. when they asked the boy in question he said "well coach didn't throw it at my head but to my chest". the mother began screaming about the mud episode from last year. saying how this is not right and he shouldn't coach anymore ans so on. she began a letter campaign against the coach whith very trivial things: No 8th graders were choose to be captain, he put the kids down when he told them "what do you want them to do score for you". well after all this the parent continued to complain even though the child in question has graduated. she wrote on more letter to the school pretty much calling the coach a child abuser. the school has asked for him not to coach, but for us to review the letter because she has threatened to sue for what i don't know. at no point did she remove her son from the team she didn't attend practice with him. i feel she has slandered our name and people have begun not letting thier children visit with our children because of it. WHAT CAN WE DO?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

If she said it, she has committed slander. If she wrote it, she has committed libel.

Child abuse is a crime of moral turpitude.If this coaching is also his profession, she has two strikes against her.

I say file a claim against her using the letter and people to whom she said these things as witnesses (they may be hostile witnesses - ie don't want to talk, don't agree with you etc).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">