• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSN - Civil Right to Privacy Violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zen_playah

What is the name of your state? california
I work for a world wide company that employs thousands. To my knowledge the whole company is suspect and that this is not an isolated incident.

Please review
California CIVIL CODE
SECTION 1798.85-1798.86

(g) A person or entity may not encode or embed a social security
number in or on a card or document, including, but not limited to,
using a bar code, chip, magnetic strip, or other technology, in place of removing the social security number, as required by this section.

i have been looking for information that could explain to me whether or not my (or anyone elses who is employed by my employer) civil rights to privacy were violated when my employer requires me to use my full social security number (ssn) for punching into and out of work shifts and breaks. the punch clock is located just below a required reading bulletin board for its employees, (work schedules and announcements, etc).

the company requires sales associates to use the first six digits of their ssn number while in the duty of operating the cash register. the second three are covered by astericks, but the number must still be key padded in. the cash register's keypad is in full view of the customer.

The company also requires the use of the first six digits of the ssn to gain access to the companies mainframe for inventory checks while helping customers.

have I been a victim of a civil rights violation ?
I complained about the issue when I was first hired. I was told on three separate occasions that the issue would be fixed soon. Later I found out from other employees that the use of social security numbers had been going on for as long as they can remember (3 years)and nothing had been done yet.

After having worked for the company for one month, they decided to train me for cash registering. I had to enter my ssn to login to the register. The customer standing in line waiting watched me enter my number. I then asked to see the Manager, where I then told him that I refuse to use any part of my SSN while in the duty of my job. They have suspended me.

I have called the labor commissioner and requested a claim form

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">