• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

why ask why

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JOEDOGG

What is the name of your state? Arizona
Why have the Constitution with Amendments if government officials dont obey Constitutional law?

J

JOEDOGG

here

Some who are intimately involved in the criminal justice system believe that officers frequently tell "small lies" in order to justify unlawful searches and seizures. See Ted Rohrlich, Scandal Shows Why Innocent Plead Guilty, L.A. Times, Dec. 31, 1999, at A1 (former Kansas City chief of police "believes hundreds of thousands of police officers tell those kinds of lies in court every year" and current Ninth Circuit judge "has called this kind of police perjury widespread").

stephenk

" police officers tell those kinds of lies in court every year"

since you didnt print out the whole article or the context of what the chief was saying, what kind of lies was he talking about.

J

JOEDOGG

Some who are intimately involved in the criminal justice system believe that officers frequently tell "small lies" in order to justify unlawful searches and seizures. (former Kansas City chief of police "believes hundreds of thousands of police officers tell those kinds of lies in court every year"

stephenk

"Some who are intimately involved in the criminal justice system believe that officers frequently tell "small lies"

Interpretation: Defense attorneys who have lost their motions to quash subpoenas and the findings of the searches "believe" the officers lied because the officer's version is different than their client's version. And we all know criminal defendants never lie.

R

reeBrelliM

I see what he is saying, and it really isn't THAT hard to understand. People as citizens of the United States of America, are constantly having their rights violated, especially with regards to the 4th Amendment. Let's face it, if you are pulled over, and the officer wants to search your vehicle, then that is just what he will do, regardless of wether you gave permission to, or not (...most certainly if not). They have loop-hole after loop-hole that they can, and often do use to completely violate peoples rights. It's a bunch of pathetic BS in my honest opinion, ...and I'm sure that I am not alone on this issue.

It's happened to me several times, you want an example? I was pulled over one night, there was absolutely nothing wrong with my car, all lights, and signals etc. were all in good working order. My drivers license status was valid, w/ no restrictions, the car had been just recently registered, and was valid also. The officer walks up and asks for my license, insurance, and registration. No problem, as I had all of this information already to hand over to him, and without having to dig around to find anything. Then another officer had pulled up, and he walked over to the rear of my car on passenger side (I assume so he could keep an eye on me by using my passenger door mirror) The first cop told me "Just sit tight, I'll be back with you in just a minute." Although, I wondered what I was pulled over for, I didn't really have the chance to ask, and he certainly didn't let me know. Then, after about 10 minutes, he comes back to my window and says, "Where were you heading just now?", I said "I was heading home sir, I only live 2 blocks away, ...is there some kind of problem?", he asked me if I had any illegal drugs or bombs, rocket launchers, hand grenades, or weapons of any kind in my vehicle that he needed to know about, naturally I chuckled a little as I said "No sir, I sure don't", he said, "Well then would you mind if I looked?", I said "Sir, with all due respect, I have answered your questions, I have been fully cooperative with you, but I have done absolutely nothing wrong, and if you don't have a reason to detain me, I would ask that you please let me be on my way as I am tired and have to work in the morning." He says, "...so you aren't gonna let me take a quick look?", I said, "Sir, I'm being honest with you, I do not have anything, I'm simply telling you that I don't particularly care to have you guys tear my car apart, ..I've seen on that TV show "COPS" where you guys just rip peoples cars all apart, and then don't put anything back, and have no regard for peoples property, not only that, but I'd just recently purchased this car, it is a rather nice vehicle, and I don't really care to have it all ripped apart, ...that's all". He says, "Ok, you just sit tight, I'll be right back with ya". He walks back to his squad car, and a few minutes later, returns back to my vehicle, he say's "Well, what I've got here is a citation for tinted windows, you will either need to appear in court at the time that's listed on the front side, or you can also sign the rear side and mail it with your payment for the amount of fine to the clerk of courts, ok you will need to sign the bottom by the X, this is NOT an admission of guilt, it simply means that you've had this explained to you, and that you understand"

I looked at him, I said "Sir, is this some kind of joke, because I do not even have tinted windows" he said "yes, the tint is too dark" I said, "I'm not trying to get jazzy with you or anything like that, BUT I have to challenge you on this, as there simply is NO TINT on my windows, ..at all. Don't you have one of those light meter tester gauge doo-hickeys to check tint with???" He said, "I do, but it is in the shop being calibrated, but I have been on the force long enough to know when tint is too dark" I said "Sir, the only tint that is on these windows, is within the door windows, and is constructed into the glass, it's called "Soft-Ray" by General Motors, it is not dark, and it certainly isn't anything that can be scraped off, it is made into the glass." He said, "Well, we shall let the guy in the black robe decide on that, but for now, you need to sign this citation." I was quite irritated by this point, and just said, "Whatever, but this is horse ****, and you know it, ....doesn't your partner have a tint gauge meter, if not, why don't you call on another unit to come and test it???" I ended up signing the damn ticket, and just as soon as I had handed his clipboard back to him, he said "Ok, now please step out of the vehicle and step around to the rear" I said "Excuse me?" He said it again, but with a little more firmness. I said "Now what?" he told me that he was going to look through the vehicle and that he would be carefull not to disturb anything. I said "But, I already mentioned to you that I was not giving you permission to search through my car" He said, "Yes, you did tell me no, however, Iowa state law says that after a citation has been issued for any reason, this is probable cause enough to conduct a search".

(You see what I mean now? Please read on, it gets better!)

After he searched through my car for 20 minutes, and had found ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!! He came to the rear of the car where I'd been standing with the other officer, and he says, "You can go ahead and give me back your copy of that citation I gave you, (I then handed it to him) ...I'm gonna cut you a break on this, I appreciate that you have been honest with me, you are free to go"

THIS STORY IS 100% TRUE!!! THIS HAD HAPPENED RIGHT HERE IN SIOUX CITY, IOWA

...Our founding fathers of that document that we call the Constitution, would certainly roll over in their graves if they knew what has become of this country.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">