• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 days per month furlough for salaried employees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

typhoidtrish

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

I am a call center supervisor and over the past two years as I have watched the economy fall, I have also watched the number of reports I have fall as well. I went from having 13 direct employees to only 2. Due to the vast workload, I am expected to also perform the work of my employees as well as my supervisory duties. In fact, most of my day consists of the same work as my employees.

About a year and a half ago, I found out that one of my reports made more money per hour for a 40 hour work week than I did as her salaried supervisor. I brought this up to my manager and within weeks I was asked to let her go.

About 6 months ago, everyone within our company was forced to take a 10% pay cut. I was ok with that as long as everyone was affected by this and I wanted to do all that I could for the company during this tough time.

Now it has been brought to my attention that every employee within the company (hourly & salaried) will be required to take 2 non consectutive days furlough per month throughout the end of the year. My manager suggests that I take Fridays off. I asked how we would be able to get the work done with less time and obviously less people and his response was that I would just have to work longer and harder hours the weeks my furloughs are scheduled.

This does not seem right to me. Why as a salaried employee would I want to work 40+ hours Monday - Thursday just so my salary can be docked one day for that week and only be paid "32" hours for 50+ hours of work?? His response is that I just get the job done not matter what it takes.

This has caused a lot of mental health problems for me. I have a severe case of anxiety due to the stress of my job. When I vocalize my opinions on the matter to my employer, I am always given the response " just be glad you have a job".

Is this legal? What do I need to do to protect myself? Please help!

ecmst12

No, I don't think this is legal. Your salary can only be reduced if you do no work for the entire WEEK, or if you take a full day off FOR PERSONAL REASONS.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Salaried and exempt are not the same thing. Not all salaried employees are exempt; not all exempt employees are salaried (though most are).

If the balance of your workload consists of the same duties as those you supervise, then the likelihood is that you are non-exempt, which means that you CAN be required to take two unpaid days a month. Or more.

The good news is that if you are non-exempt, you have to be paid overtime if you work more than 40 hours in a week.

ecmst12

Apparently they are treating him as exempt if they are only paying him for 40 hours regardless of hours worked. If he should actually be non-exempt, they are REALLY screwing up!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">