• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The amount money on the W-2 is more than what I really earned

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lth98

I'm in PA.

The amount of wages in my W-2 is more than what shows one my last paycheck. I've tried to call the employer many times, could not reach him. I've left many messages, no response. I finally got him this morning, they showed me bad attitude and no progress definitely. What should I do next? Is there any way I can make an accusation against this company? How do I file my tax? Thanks for your helps.

pattytx

I take it the payroll dept. is out of area for you; otherwise I would suggest actually showing up in person. What exactly did they say?

Do you have your pay stubs for paychecks paid in 2004? Especially the last one if year-to-date figures on included. Can you prove your numbers vs. theirs? Don't forget that the W-2s are calculated on the cash basis, not when the wages were earned.

Let us know and I'll see if I can help further.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Is it possible that the difference has to do with the date of the last paycheck vs. the last day of the year?

lth98

response for pattytx

pattytx said:
I take it the payroll dept. is out of area for you; otherwise I would suggest actually showing up in person. What exactly did they say?

Do you have your pay stubs for paychecks paid in 2004? Especially the last one if year-to-date figures on included. Can you prove your numbers vs. theirs? Don't forget that the W-2s are calculated on the cash basis, not when the wages were earned.

Let us know and I'll see if I can help further.
Thank you, Pattytx. I do have the last pay check with the Year-to-date included which shows the number different from the W-2's box 1. When I talked to him yesterday, his first sentence was "I don't have much time, you listen to me", then he was tryng to list all the salaries for each month. I asked him why not list the Year-to-date for each month. He suddenly blustered in bullying manner, said "why do you keep asking me question, I don't have time". Without allowing me to ask further questions, he hung up the phone.

lth98

cbg said:
Is it possible that the difference has to do with the date of the last paycheck vs. the last day of the year?
I quit that company last June 15th. And the last paycheck was given on June 15th. The number of Year-to date is different from the W-2's box 1. I don't have other income from this company.

pattytx

Call the payroll person back and ask him for a date and time you can either come see him in person or call back when he has time to explain this to you. Or send a certified letter requesting the explanation.

Perhaps there were some in-kind fringe benefits that were provided to you outside of the payroll system that were taxable, so had to be added to the W-2. This is not unusual.

On soapbox: This kind of payroll person is what gives payroll a bad name. True payroll professionals don't act this way. :mad: Off soapbox.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">