• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Backfill Positions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michael_james

What is the name of your state? TX

Does anybody know the legality of backfill positions? I ask because I was "promoted" from an entry level job into a "backfill" management level job. because it is considered backfill, I never received a job offer or raise. I am still making the same entry level salary, but have taken on management level responsibility. I've done this job for 1 year now and the backfill role continued to be extended month-by-month... I've done a great job in this role and have received great performance reviews, however it's frustrated that all my counterparts are making significantly more money than me to do the same job.

I am not alone. I would say about half of my department is staffed with "backfills". Many people have been backfilled for 12-24 months and still no job offer or raise. I'm feeling like I'm being taken advantage of and I feel like the company is abusing the use of the backfill position. They are supposed to fill temporary gaps, but when you are doing a job for 1-2 years, I'd say the need is no longer temporary.

I've searched the internet and can't find any helpful resources. Does anyone know if I have any type of rights or recourse?

Many thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Under the law, if you are non-exempt you have the right to be paid the higher of state or Federal minimum wage, and overtime for any hours over 40 that you work in a workweek.

If you are exempt, you have the right to be paid a minimum of $455 per week and not to have your pay docked except for very limited circumstances.

No law (either Federal or state, in any state) requires that you receive a raise at any time unless you are either guaranteed it by a binding and enforceable contract or CBA, or if minimum wage is raised by either your state legislature or an act of Congress and you are now working below the new minimum.

No law requires that you receive the same money as other employees in the same position unless you are being paid less BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin or other characteristic protected by law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">