• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bar owner fines his bartenders

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TxJole

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have a 20 year old female bartender friend that is working her way through college at a local bar Saturday nights only. The owner excused a group of girls over pouring and giving drinks away. Says he has them all on video. First he threaten to have the all arrested for theft of services. The next weekend (thats right he didnt fire them) he told them all they need to sign a contract stating they will pay him $1500 in 3 payment, if late they will be charged 10%. If they didn't sign they would be fired. Seeing her only paycheck threatened she signed it. Only after did ALL of them realize they will now be forced to work for weeks free. Anyway out of the contract?? Oh and she doesn't even have a copy of it. I know but its done.

moburkes

We don't know if the contract was legal, since we can't see it. We do know that she could have been fired for theft.

xylene

This person was fool to sign such a contract.

I hope she realizes she will probably be canned after effectively working for free.

She could not pay and then wait for the guy to sue her, which would be a judgement and all that hassle and credit damage...

moburkes

He has to at least pay her for minimum wage, but can keep the rest (won't be much actually), or she can contact the department of labor.

xylene

He has to at least pay her for minimum wage, but can keep the rest (won't be much actually), or she can contact the department of labor.
I think this bar owner is going to claim that this is not a deduction from wages, but a payment plan. She doen't have to pay at all, she could take the 10% penalty (terms unknown)

This girl was real stupid to sign this. I would just quit and wait for the guy to sue me and have court make ruling on the legality, if the guy even bothers.

Personally I can just tell the guy is a scumbag. Having bartenders under the age of 21 is a hallmark of a degenerate bar owner. How is someone who cannot legally drink going to have a shred of the expereince needed to properly serve patrons (ie not serve the intoxicated)? They are not, they are just pieces sweet flesh to titilate the patrons. Makes me sick.

moburkes

I think this bar owner is going to claim that this is not a deduction from wages, but a payment plan. She doen't have to pay at all, she could take the 10% penalty (terms unknown)

This girl was real stupid to sign this. I would just quit and wait for the guy to sue me and have court make ruling on the legality, if the guy even bothers.

Personally I can just tell the guy is a scumbag. Having bartenders under the age of 21 is a hallmark of a degenerate bar owner. How is someone who cannot legally drink going to have a shred of the expereince needed to properly serve patrons (ie not serve the intoxicated)? They are not, they are just pieces sweet flesh to titilate the patrons. Makes me sick.
But, then, she'll still get a paycheck, and will pay him back separately. I agree that owner is a loser and tht gf made a HUGE mistake. Your way might be better. The judge can determine if the contract is legal. The owner, though, can file a police report for theft.

TxJole

He claims she was overpouring the drinks. She does not think she was. The guy is a super scumbag. He won't give her a copy of the contract.

TxJole

Your original post also mentioned giving them away.
He says he has her and the rest of the bartenders (all but his daughter) giving customers drinks without ringing to the cash register. Well all the tab sheets are out of camera shot. I'm sure she gave a drink or 2 away, no doubt, but not what he is claimin. Do you really think a DA would pick a case like this up if she justed walked away from this place?

moburkes

He says he has her and the rest of the bartenders (all but his daughter) giving customers drinks without ringing to the cash register. Well all the tab sheets are out of camera shot. I'm sure she gave a drink or 2 away, no doubt, but not what he is claimin. Do you really think a DA would pick a case like this up if she justed walked away from this place?
You don't know where the cameras are. Everybody who does something only does it "twice". 2MPH over the speed limit, 2 drinks the whole night, etc. I have no idea what a DA will or will not do. I have no idea what "evidence" the owner has.

xylene

The owner is a blowhard.

Even with 'tapes' he would be hard put to prove anything. Only a detailed audit trail could prove anything - and only a handful of bars do this because of the cost. Also a public auditing of a bars books is exactly what owners want.:rolleyes: Bartenders give drinks away all the time. Its called 'buyback' and you do it for good customers. It can't be commonplace in his bar and in the industry one second and theft the next...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">