• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Base Salary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spunky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine
What is the base salary in the state of Maine or is there one?
Is salary based on 40 hours or is that up to individual employers?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no base salary in any state.

In order to be classified as exempt (note that NOT all salaried employees are exempt) there is a federal floor of $455 weekly; meaning that if your salary is less than $455 weekly, you are automatically non-exempt. It does not mean that no salaried employee can receive less than $455 per week - it means that if they do, they are non-exempt (and eligible for overtime). There are a very few states where that amount is higher; I do not recall that Maine is one of those states but Patty will know when she comes by.

In all cases, how many hours any employee (exempt, non-exempt, hourly or salaried) works per week is up to the employer.

pattytx

I couldn't find anything in the Maine statues which provided for a highly salary basis per se than the FLSA for salaried exempt. Having said that, the Maine statutes seem to imply that the weekly salary requirement in the state is tied to their minimum wage. Even if that were true, however, that would increase the weekly salary requirement for exempt by only $10/week, since minimum wage in Maine is $.25 higher than federal.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">