• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Below Base Salary MINIMUM

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rapunzel664

Illiniois- I work for a large insurance company and we have a Base Salary for each type of job here in our office.... in additon to a Performance review where you may be entitled to an increase above & beyond the base salary( a raise). At the beginning of 2008 the MINIMUM base wage for the Salary Grade I am designated was increased. However, when looking at my beginning of the year Salary review....I noticed that my base salary was BELOW the MINIMUM for the Salary Grade I'm employed at.

If it's called a MINIMUM....doesnt that mean that's the least amount of money an employee would be paid who is titled at this Salary Grade?? I brought this to the attention of our Human Resource dept in addition to the Supervisor Manager. At first, they were sympathetic and said they would check on it. However, the final decision was that I was not entitled to the MINIMUM Base salary due to a poor performance evaluation. These are two entirely different wage factors. One is a BASE and another is PERFORMANCE. Regardless of my performance evaluation, my base salary should have been bumped to the minimum...or they should have let me go if my performance was so bad that I didnt even deserve the minimum for my work.

I feel the company is trying to give me some Corporate double talk in order to not have to pay me back-pay since the beginning of the year. I should also mention that the company is downsizing and outsourcing a lot of our jobs at this time. I'm considering seeking legal advice and a possible EPLI claim against the company.

Any suggestions?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The law doesn't give one hoot whether company minimums are adhered to. They only care if legal minimums are being adhered to.

If you are being paid the higher of state or federal minimum wage (if different) as a non-exempt employee, or if you are being paid $455 or more as an exempt employee, that's all the law cares about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">