• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bereavement Leave issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annie_hughes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA
I was approved for bereavement leave to attend a relatives funeral, but it didn't state whether the leave was unpaid or paid. The allotted time was taken, but per the company time will not be compensated due to the family member (great-grandparent) not being considered immediate family when grandparents are listed as immediate family. How can you grant someone time to go a funeral service, but not pay them for the time they were away? That doesn't make sense to me. Especially the part where great-grandparents are not considered grandparents and immediate family. The bereavement time shouldn't have been granted being that per their words the deceased wasn't considered immediate family. Contradiction all over the board.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
How can you grant someone time to go a funeral service, but not pay them for the time they were away?

Very easily. There is absolutely no law in any state requiring paid leave for bereavement. Or time off for bereavement at all.

It is 100% up to the employer, in all 50 states, which family members to allot bereavement time for, and whether that time will be paid or unpaid.

Beth3

How can you grant someone time to go a funeral service, but not pay them for the time they were away?

Would you have preferred to be denied leave time entirely?

The bereavement time shouldn't have been granted being that per their words the deceased wasn't considered immediate family.

Apparently you would have.

I expect you're employer would have no problem with your substituting earned vacation time for the unpaid bereavenent leave time.

Contradiction all over the board.

Uh, no. Neither State nor federal law requires an employer to provide bereavement leave, whether paid or unpaid. The fact that your employer provides paid leave for those that they define as "immediate family" is a gift from your employer. They don't have to do that at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">